Everything about romance and love and Valentine's Day should disgust me. Romance isn't something I'm very familiar with and my run-ins with it haven't been too great. But love is such a beautiful emotion and I would argue it's the most powerful.

That's why Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays.

It's undeniably a corporate holiday and I never ignore that. But we don't have to make it about greeting cards and heart-shaped chocolates. It's the idea of having a day that revolves around the emotion that controls everything that is good in the world. Because of how much I enjoy showing love, I'm totally for having a day to express it at full volume.

With no one extra special person to share the day with and very few friends who are single like me, it would be easy to stay bitter and spend the day cursing at relationships while I shovel in an endless amount of ice cream. But that's never been how I do things. Taking the easy way out isn't my style.

I celebrate February 14th by taking in and giving out so much love. I look forward to sharing every ounce of joy that exists in my heart. I want to give so much extra love to all the people I care about.

Life sometimes gets in the way of expressing love in the right way and Valentine's Day grants us an opportunity to really focus on it. There's nothing wrong with showing people they're being thought of.

It's also a chance for us to really love ourselves, and I make sure I do that. I try to practice self-care all the time, but I don't always get the chance to. But on Valentine's Day, I like to remind myself that love exists and it's beautiful and I owe it to myself to experience that.

Even if it's on my own and it's just a face mask and some quiet time. It's so important to be conscious of love and the meaning behind it.

Not being able to experience the typical traditions of Valentine's Day shouldn't take away from celebrating it all together. Fellow single friends can do a Galentine's Day and love each other. And if that doesn't work either, we can just love ourselves a little extra to make up for where it gets lost.

With all the negativity in the world already, we shouldn't let a day of love be negative too. We should put our hearts on our sleeves instead.