5 Things To Try Before You Can Officially Say "I Hate College"

Your first semester can be rough, but there are things that make it easier.

67

No one said college would be easy, but when you first get there, it’s easy to assume you’ll be able to cruise right through.

There are so many new friends to make and parties to go to. You’re having lots of fun while enjoying the new experience of being out on your own. Eventually, though, classes catch up to you, and then you’re buried in the stresses of midterms and finals that seem like they’re happening way too soon.

This feeling will make anyone’s first semester of college seem miserable, especially if you haven’t had the experience of making friends and having fun first.

At these moments when you’re most stressed and feeling defeated by life, it’s all too easy to feel like you’re stuck. Even if you’re actively enrolled in college, it’s not your only option.

The truth is, you don’t have to attend a four-year college to be successful. There are plenty of secure, good-paying jobs that don’t require a degree. College might not be for you, and if it isn’t, it won’t be the end of the world

But, before you drop out, check out some things you can do to have a better time while you’re at school.

1. Get Involved

For most freshmen, their frustrated feelings of stress and loneliness come from a combination of not knowing how to deal with college-level homework quite yet and not socializing enough.

While it’ll take time and experience to hone your time-management and study skills, build in breaks to try new things. Join a club or participate in a fun event.

The momentary change in scenery and the fun that’s sure to follow will help you find a reason to enjoy your school.

2. Relieve Your Stress

Sometimes, it’s not about doing more, but about doing less. You won’t be able to just stop doing homework or going to your part-time job, but there are other ways you can relieve stress in college.

Go for a walk and get dinner in the cafeteria instead of microwaving mac and cheese again. Step outside on a study break to take a deep breath and look at the stars. If your stress is lower, it will be easier for you to find things to be happy about.

3. Eat Better

How you eat affects everything from how your body functions to the moods you feel, and college is famous for forcing students to eat terrible foods.

You’re broke, pressed for time and your meal plan has run out. Of course you’re going to eat instant noodles for every meal. However, look into investing in a different meal plan to take advantage of the healthy foods most colleges offer now.

Give your body better fuel to run on, and you’ll feel like a whole new happier, healthier person.

4. List Your Goals

When you get unhappy with your life and feel like giving up on school, it might be because you’ve lost sight of your goals. What drove you to apply to college in the first place?

Maybe you had big dreams for your career, or you wanted to be the first person in your family to walk across the stage and get a university diploma.

Write those goals down on a list and put it up somewhere where it can motivate you. You might find yourself quickly dealing with your stressors better and loving what you’re doing.

5. Make a Dream Board

For some college kids, the goals are more about getting in and getting out. The thought of student debt can be overwhelming, and some students might not have that dream career picked out.

If you’re one of these people, make a dream board for yourself. How will a college degree impact your life? Will you travel with your increased salary, or maybe start your own business?

Put your dream board where you can always see it so you can find peace that what you’re doing has a purpose.

Some people hate their first semester of college, and that’s normal. It’s a big life change that takes time to adjust to. Sometimes it helps to join clubs, find a way to relieve your stress or even transfer schools.

No matter what path you take, know that not enjoying your college experience isn’t something that happens to you alone. Lots of other people struggle too, and it’s up to you to find the way that will make your experience worthwhile.

Always do your best to balance your time between work, school and the things you enjoy.

If you’re meant to be in college, you’ll find a routine that works, and if you’re not meant for the university setting, don’t take it as a personal fault.

There are plenty of ways to succeed in life without a degree. What matters is that you give school your best effort while you’re in it.