Why I Hate The Bear's Decision To Hire Matt Nagy As Head Coach

It really is just like the Bears to do something as stupid as this.

144
Instagram

At the end of the 2017 NFL season, the Bears fired John Fox, and good riddance to him. In three seasons as head coach, Fox only won fourteen games, while losing thirty-four; both management and the fan base were tired of this, and wouldn't accept it anymore. However, firing a head coach means that you have to find a new one, meaning many questions have to be answered. What scheme do you want to run? What kind of players do you want on the roster? What do you want your team to look like?

The Bears answered these questions just days after firing Fox, hiring Matt Nagy as their new head coach, the sixteenth in franchise history, and they're third in the last five years. Nagy was the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, a team that made the playoffs, so you might think this was a good hire, but I fervently disagree. While Nagy led quarterback Alex Smith to the most productive year of his career, I wonder whether this success was a one-year wonder. Nagy was the Chiefs quarterback coach from 2013 to 2015, and in that span, Alex Smith never threw for 4,000 yards.

Even when he was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2016, Smith was still a middle of the road quarterback. This most recent season has been the only really good season Smith has had in his entire career, so to give Nagy credit implies that this wasn't a fluke, which I believe it is. Additionally, Smith was not asked to do much; Kansas City had the leading rusher in the league, Kareem Hunt, to take the pressure off of Smith, and a defense that played very well early in the year, contributing to a 5-0 start to the season.

However, when Hunt began to slow down, and the defense began to falter, Smith regressed back to his old self, unable to anything as the Chiefs lost five of their next six games. Hunt's game then picked up again, and the Chiefs finished with a 10-6 record. There is a pattern here. When all the pressure was taken off of Smith, he played well, but if you asked him to win a game for you, the offense completely fell apart. The Bears don't have the personnel to make up for incompetence at the quarterback position like the Chiefs do, so any scheme that Nagy implements just can't work with the roster Chicago has.

In short, Nagy was given the head job in Chicago because he was given credit for revitalizing the Chief's offense, and specifically, Alex Smith, both of which I have argued that he deserves no credit for. You can use this reasoning to figure out just why the Bears brought in Nagy. He's been given the credit for the Chief's quarterback successes, and Chicago have a young quarterback of their own that needs some development: Mitchell Trubisky.

Chicago drafted Trubisky second overall in last year's draft, and gave up many picks to trade up to such a high pick and get him, so the Bears are pretty much forced to believe that Trubisky is their quarterback of the future. With that in mind, Chicago's reasoning in hiring Nagy was probably to develop Mitch into a franchise quarterback. Given his production from last season, or lack thereof, this is going to be difficult.

Trubisky started twelve games this season, winning four of them. This record is to be expected, as he was meant to sit out his rookie season for developmental purposes, but what really disgusted me was the way he played. Trubisky threw for slightly over 2,000 yards, seven touchdowns, and seven interceptions, with a completion percentage of 59.4%. If you follow football, reading those statistics is enough to make you vomit. Trubisky not only didn't play well, he was atrocious, and there is one very important statistic that agrees with me.

This stat is Total QBR. For those who are unaware, Total QBR is measured on a scale of 0 to 100, examining the quarterback's contribution to the team on a play by play basis, including passing, rushing, turnovers, and penalties. In short, it analyzes the overall decision-making skills of a quarterback, takes into account the context of each decision, and allocates credit and blame accordingly. Out of all eligible quarterbacks, Trubisky ranked 29th out of 30 with a score of 29.1. Even fellow rookie DeShone Kizer, who led the NFL in interceptions and led the Cleveland Browns to a WINLESS season, had a better QBR (29.3).

If it were up to me, I would throw Trubisky to the curb, or into a volcano, or any scenario in which he is no longer around to screw up this team. It may be early for some, but I've seen all I need; the man is a lost cause. Unfortunately, this is the hand that Bear fans have been dealt, and it probably won't go any better than the last two times the Bears went looking for their next coach. Enjoy three more years of mediocrity from this team, seeing Jordan Howard and any other young players get the hell out of dodge, and honestly, I just can't wait for Virginia McCaskey to either sell the team or die, just so we can finally get a decent football team in Chicago again, because I'm getting really tired of this crap.