It's Hard To Express Yourself These Days When Employers See, And Judge, Everything

The bittersweet reality of social media.

88
anunanna//Instagram

Nowadays if you are a liberal, you are pretty much in the clear with your common aged peers.

This sentiment rings true especially for college students, as campuses are notoriously known for promoting the far left notions and silencing the voices of its more conservative students. The mass liberal rise mimics the large anti-war movement within the college student population during the Vietnam War.

These great scales reflect the same theme: the rebellion against the federal government. Nonetheless, there is one great difference between the two.

Since we were old enough to walk we have been told that we are the future of the country and that we can change the world. (Hopefully) this is true. However we have to be hired by the present, and they may hold ulterior beliefs about the government than we do. This is detrimental in that we, the students, utilize a different platform than the revolutionaries of the past. Before, you could fake yourself until you made it; by mimicking the beliefs of your employer and those around you. Now, though, by going online and practicing free speech, you could essentially be exploiting yourself to future discrimination.

Thus, expressing yourself could hurt your future employment opportunities more so than tattoos and piercings if your employer happens to have opposing beliefs.

Personally, another major concern of mine in writing on a large platform is that there will be misunderstanding in what I convey versus what I mean. No amount of English classes will ever prepare me well enough to fully express tone through my writings. Half the time, I rush through my weekly article just to get it in on time. This is fine in that I still have the opportunity to write for Odyssey, yet concerning in my future employers may read one of my subpar articles and believe it to be the best of my ability. In reality, maybe my article was rushed or I wrote it in a fury at some news that was current at the time. Social media posts work the same way.

It is hard to constantly be focused on representing your beliefs while also appealing to all of your future employers.