Poetry On Odyssey: I Am Still Happy

Poetry On Odyssey: I Am Still Happy

I need to remember that you never even wanted to be here.

1119
Poetry On Odyssey: I Am Still Happy
Felix Plakolb

This poem originates from my personal experience(s). At the beginning of the poem, I explain the perspective that others may have when interacting with me. It can be upon meeting me for the first time, or on a daily basis. For the most part, I am a genuinely happy person. Others can see the side of me that is very joyful and content. However, the second part of this poem explains a different perspective of my emotional state. It gets a bit deep and personal, but this is the side that is not shown to the human eye.

I am happy, doesn't it seem?

My smile is bright.

My attitude tight

and my mind is right.

Doesn't it seem?

My laugh is contagious.

My jokes are outrageous

and my presence is famous.

I am still happy, right?

But what you don't see is my pain.

My pain that pours down like rain

and speeds down the tracks like trains.

But I am okay, right?

I thought that you'd always be there

like an open wide receiver.

But I need to remember that you never even wanted to be here.

No need for first-aid

because the scars are already made.

One day I will rise up

and pass you

Like a wave.

The main message that I am expressing in this poem is losing someone who was close to me and how it deeply impacted my life. A wise man once told me "Not everyone will be by your side; even if you are by theirs every step of the way. No matter what, you keep moving forward. They either with you or they ain't." My advice to my readers is that you need to know who your true people are. Through thick and thin, they will remain in your corner and keep pushing you towards success. Weed out the people that claim you, but wait to see you fail.