Being Happy All The Time Not Good Mental Health

Being Happy All The Time Is Not Good For You

It had to be said.

20

Alright, alright, alright, before I begin, I am not upset right now. In fact, I'm not even close to being sad, despite the fact that I have two finals scheduled tomorrow and far too many APs in a few weeks. This is not an article about personal frustration. This is an article about why you cannot, and should not want to be happy all the time.

It's lovely to be happy. Happiness is this surge of that good-good, that rush of positivity and smiles that makes you want to sing in the shower and dance down the street. Happiness is a great feeling to share with those you care about, to share good news and good times with those that matter.

But as much as you try, you cannot be happy all the time. It is impossible to be happy all the time, and what's even more foolish is to chase happiness. Happiness should be invoked, not chased. It should be a feeling that finds you, not a feeling you are always trying to find, even when it's clearly not there.

People that often chase happiness find it difficult to deal with other emotions. If you are always chasing happiness, it means you are not okay when you are sad, angry, or afraid. You do not want to come to terms with your emotions, but want to transform it into happiness so you don't have to deal with it. Usually when people display themselves to be happy all the time, they are simply not accepting that they are feeling other things.

It is okay to be sad, and to cry about what affects you. Sadness is natural when something bad happens, when you get a low score on a test or a relationship breaks off. Instead of trying to feign happiness, it is better to embrace that emotion, understand it, and channel it into something that drives you to make better choices and achieve your goals.

It's the same thing with anger. Being angry is such a powerful emotion that it's almost too scary to handle. Instead of pretending like everything is okay and you're happy, dealing with your feelings and understanding the cause of your anger is more productive. Listening to what made you mad, thinking of how you can prevent it, and understanding how to deal with similar situations in the future will not only make you better at dealing with a wide variety of emotions, but will also help you understand your own likes and dislikes better.

When fearful, or anxious, or simply dreading something, understand why. What's the worst thing that will happen? Why are you afraid, and what can you do about it? Being absolutely fearless may sound super strong on paper, but it takes a lot of work to diminish even a single fear and you cannot do that if you are pretending to be happy.

Happiness should not be a standard, but an emotion just like any other one. Feeling like you have to be happy all the time is unnecessary pressure, and it doesn't help that everyone around you (in real life, and on social media) seems to be having the time of their lives, all of the time. Being happy is great, but feeling other emotions is necessary for self growth, and for getting through life just a little bit more emotionally healthy.