Thank You For Putting Up With Me Mom

Thank You For Putting Up With Me Mom

An open letter to the woman who raised me to be a warrior and dealt with my shenanigans.

194
Thank You For Putting Up With Me Mom
Alexander Dummer

Mother's Day is around the corner and no matter if you are ungrateful or grateful for your moms, I'll always be grateful for mine. I never truly get to thank my mom, because words fail me when I go to speak them. Even though my words fail me verbally, they always help me when I type or write them.

They say that you can see into the author's heart when you read their words and that is very much true. My heart is my family and my incoming new family. As much as I never say it, I love my family with all my heart and I have to thank my mom for instilling that in me all these years.You deserved this a long time ago mom and I'm sorry for not writing this sooner.

Mom,
I would hide when I or someone would show extreme emotion and you saw that through "the ostrich". You were the mom that made sure that I knew the truth by telling me that an outfit or a dance costume didn't look right on me. As an overweight child, you made sure that I had good food to try and slim me down. You pointed out that dancing would hurt my body if I continued to be overweight. As much as it would annoy me, I always knew you were right. The boys I dated, you never liked any of them because you knew that I deserved better. It took time to realize that I needed someone who is gentle and loves me regardless of my bitchy side.

I know that it threw you for a loop when I decided to take the chance and moved down to Orlando after my Disney College Program. I remember the days where you tried to understand why I would make such an un-calculated move. I remember that my gut was telling me that it was a good move. I learned about myself faster than if I were to stay in Neptune Beach. You were with me through the war zone and give me the ammo I needed to make decisions. I will forever be grateful to you for slapping me in the head (figuratively) when I made stupid decisions. You were there for Julian and I when our fights became stupid and childish.

I'll be forever grateful that you gave me the tools for me to become the warrior that I am today. You truly taught me that I shouldn't care about what people think even though you cared too much. The people who matter the most are those who boost you up and not those who tear you down. I wish you would not let certain people (you know who I'm talking about) cause you the anxiety and depression that you have. I know I've caused some of that anxiety from making stupid decisions and making you think that I wouldn't talk to you. I wish that you wouldn't think that I would leave you over some of the stupid stuff that we've fought over (there I said it on the internet, now its permanently true).

I know you struggle with my lifestyle, but I am forever grateful for the love and acceptance that you give me regardless. You taught me from a young age that the LGBTQ+ community is a good addition and that they should be able to live their lives in peace. I know you don't like surprises about people, but I'm glad I was able to come out and tell you the other side of me that I never told anyone. People through my life would tell me that they are uncomfortable with the LGBTQ+ community hence why I never said anything. It sucks that I thought that I couldn't tell you after all of these years even though you were comfortable with the LGBTQ+ community all of my life.

I hope I end up half the woman that you are. If I do, then I think I'll be alright. I know you go over the top sometimes, but it would weird me out if you didn't. I hope this letter makes you feel better and you would quit worrying about the small things because we should never sweat the small stuff. As much as you don't like to hear it, you are like my grandma but the good stuff. She is smiling down on you from heaven with granddaddy. I know you miss grandma and I miss her too, but I know we'll all see them one day with a mass family reunion Cajun style. I love you.
Love,
Your Warrior Princess

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers. May you bless us on this earth for as long as you can.