Remember To Say 'Happy Holidays,' Not 'Merry Christmas' This Holiday Season

It's OK to be excited about the holiday you celebrate, but keep in mind not everyone celebrates the same one.

40
https://www.facebook.com/jkingsfood/photos/bc.Abqq025_01r4mAKgR7LUi62hZrkp7LwoFNIJevJwCedJ62DOdEuvsdbb8oAN6am_NAdMbLKEVsc_uZ1WPdBt99er1J5ZvnAZuji3Y3tjQDcqvEX7y8p0RnDR713JjsHIy2BJpyqbcTIzQnWeOfA_2bj7/10153751392406203/?type=1&opaqueCursor=AbrN9L7vJdZKmc8jN1xh__4IocWjYfivdDGEyIo7RHED6s3nyhYe0MyShysHed-pjtrPMmzit4I-hk4IBNC7CzaVUYKEgA_G_7fSY_jt6F9YVsLdOuIDaU_MqowEXbxomkT0m0B7XaWkf7yJ4TRili94Kb3JBTEh3qPaOyBLcrlUrv0hxzTDR1QSD-3-i9lNHR8Ih7HK0VetMi56c6f1VewcuBXt2gOWh8xtY_6E2NDRBNtiX7uGyIf6yaR-DxoZh1W1E1bFibXTS3MUTSltYtyNcsepYbQUnaLepQahc7LdtK16HH8sN5_QVil25skHgznEUIfjFnyyvUfZCet_0qikkiFNNUcgmJ6DHJKbyewr6lD393rso2ZgQKzcVfxIls0gQtWntza_BosPKKYpp6gU4qg-mNk3ypgbmeERufldDSyHPSkjg6KjoM3gzovkV83-D1eJr1iJaUc4R7Ln60wV&theater

The holiday season is upon us! Almost no one (not even me, and I consider myself quite a Scrooge) can deny the allure that comes with the holiday season. Despite the biting cold, the holidays are always associated with warm memories. Whether it be spending time with family, exchanging gifts, or eating great food, everyone has their own traditions, and when December hits, everyone catches the holiday bug.

Because everyone is so excited for the upcoming holidays, people typically begin to act nicer to those around them and even go out of their way to send well wishes. However, one must remember that while this is a jolly time, not everyone is celebrating the same holiday.

While it is safe to say a good majority of the country is celebrating Christmas, you can never know for sure who celebrates what. So when greeting people you are unfamiliar with this holiday season, remember to say "Happy holidays" and don't make the assumption they are celebrating Christmas. Let us take a look at some of the holidays celebrated during this season!

Christmas

Definitely, the most publicized holiday celebrated during the winter season. About 75% of Americans identify as Christian, so it is only natural that it is the one you hear about the most. Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ and for some reason, there is this big old guy with a beard that somehow knows whether kids have been bad or not and shimmies down their chimney to give them presents. How he is related to Jesus is beyond me, but kids seem to love him. Those who celebrate Christmas typically buy a tree to place in their homes to decorate and put presents underneath, as well as many other traditions. Christmas is observed on December 25th.

Hanukkah

Another common holiday celebrated during the winter season is Hanukkah. Celebrated by those of Jewish faith, Hanukkah is the celebration of the rededication of the Holy Temple. Traditions include the lighting of the menorah on each of the eight days of the holiday, to commemorate the victory of the Jewish Maccabees over the Greco/Syrians and how a one-day supply of oil lasted for a miraculous eight days. Traditions include gift giving on each of the eight days, the spinning of the dreidel and much more. This year Hanukkah will be celebrated from December 2nd - December 10th.

Kwanzaa

Kwanzaa is a holiday that lasts a week and celebrates African American culture. The holiday is dedicated to seven principles including unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith. Gifts are exchanged and the celebration culminates with a large feast. Kwanzaa is observed from December 26th-January 1st.

Japanese New Year

Ōmisoka, or ōtsugomori, is the Japanese New Year that takes place on December 31st. The holiday celebrates the end of one year and the beginning of the next, and typically sees family and friends gathering for parties. Traditionally people are encouraged to take care of activities such as cleaning and paying off debts, so as to start the new year fresh and spend the last few hours of the year relaxing. Towards the end of the day, people gather to eat toshikoshi soba together; these long noodles represents crossing from one year to the next.

Rohatsu

Rohatsu, or Bodhi Day, is a holiday celebrated by Buddhists that commemorates the day Siddhartha Gautama experienced enlightenment. Activities can include meditation, reading of Buddhist texts, performing acts of kindness, or a traditional meal of tea and cake. Bodhi Day is observed on December 8th.

Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Primarily celebrated by those of Catholic faith, The Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe commemorates the appearance of the Virgin Mary in Mexico City. Many parishes hold parties that lead up to a feast day Mass. This holiday is celebrated on December 12th.

This is just a small look into all the wonderful holidays that are celebrated in the winter season. Having at least a tiny portion of knowledge concerning cultures and religions different from your own can go a long way into making people feel accepted.

Regardless of what you do or don't celebrate this holiday season, I wish everyone Happy Holidays!