7 Things You Know When You Grow Up With a Single Mother

Happy Father's Day, Mom.

67
Tehya White

Growing up without the perfect nuclear family was hard, and it truly never got easier. However, as I grew up and became the young adult that I am today, I only began to become more thankful for it. It has not only shaped me into who I am, but it has also shown me independence, time management, and strength. All of these things were instilled in me by my single, and very capable, mother.

Most times when people hear "my parents are divorced" or "I was raised by a single mother" they instantly make a face. You know what face I'm talking about. I understand why though, because so many have been taught to stay together for the children and often times I'm looked at as incomplete for lacking an involved father. Unfortunately for those people, they're wrong. I'm not lacking anything in life (well other than a dad), and instead growing up with a single mother has actually taught me a few things.

1. She is your protector, and you are hers.

There is never anyone else there to care for you or your siblings so she steps it up, adds to her work load, and makes sure you are at your happiest. The second anything goes wrong, from school friends, relationships, or a fall and scrape, she is there, almost immediately. As you being to grow up, you see your mom wants to finally have a life of her own. Single moms are allowed to date. However, when they do, you become the watchman and the attack dog all in one. You must scope everyone she brings home out, including the FBI-level Facebook stalking. Nobody will ever be able to break your mom's heart like your dad did on your watch again.

2. Strong women cry.

I don't know why the world has made crying into a sign of weakness. It relieves stress and is actually very healthy. Although we all hate seeing our mothers cry, single mothers cry often. They have very few people to lean on and being alone takes its toll. After it is all said and done, and the sadness is cried away, she stands up tall and continues to work hard like the strong woman she is. Crying is not weak unless you let it consume you.

3. Her children always come first.

Being a single mother means staying a single mother even when you're "dating" somebody because those people may just be temporary and her children don't need to be subjected to them just yet. Once, I heard my mother tell somebody,

"I usually date colored men because my children are mixed and I don't want them, their family, or anybody we see to question or judge my children because me and the man I am with are both white and they don't know our story."

While she also prefers colored men, it broke and warmed my heart to hear how selfless she is when it comes to my siblings and I. Anyone who has grown up with a single mother knows how truly selfless they are.

4. They don't really have friends.

A selfless single mother must not only devote her time to her children, but also to her job so that she has the means to support them. Although we all wish that love and happiness paid the bills, it does not and thus, single moms must work extra hard in order to sufficiently provide for their children. In return, they have very little time to hang out and/or party with their friends unless they can bring the kids along. In this day and age, less and less people are having kids so it is becoming harder for people to understand that concept and subsequently single moms just skip the explaining themselves part and opt out of friendships.

5. Sending her kids to college is even harder than usual.

Parting the family on college drop off day is sad for everyone, especially close families, but what about the single mom whose house just keeps getting emptier? She has no husband to make retirement plans with and as stated before, no friends to spend her upcoming free time with. She is left, once again, alone.

Cue the all the time phone calls and the constant meme tagging on Facebook. Oh, and don't forget the nostalgia. Your mom misses you while she is away. She leaned on you as you grew up and just as she hated leaving you, you know you hated leaving her, too.

6. The punishment is severe.

Okay, kids who have grown up with a single mother, this is probably the realest thing you've ever read. There is no person there when you get in trouble to reign your mother's temper in. She has the complete say and doesn't have to yield to anyone. And thus, getting in trouble with your single mother has got to be the scariest thing, well, ever. There is no other parent there to be on your side and plead your case. And let's be honest, if you try to do it yourself then you are "talking back." Oh, whatever I do, just please don't let my single mother pick my punishment.

7. She is your best friend, and you are hers.

I know you've seen countless memes about your mom being your best friend when you grow up, and I have too (because she tags me in all of them), but this is for real. Kids who have grown up with single mothers have developed such a bond and a dependency with their mothers because that is all they ever knew. Likewise, single mothers rely on their children because the didn't leave when everyone else was. There is a type of security when you become your single mother's best friend because you both know that you both have each other's backs and that will never change.

Although, my dad has recently made the decision to (once again, *eye roll emoji*) be in my life, my mother will always be my number one fan. I'll never not give her credit for the times when she had to step up and play both parental roles. Happy Father's Day, Mom.