Dear Dad

Dear Dad

Happy Father's Day, from your daughter.

7
Dear Dad
Original Photo by Author
"Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice." - Alfred Pennyworth

Dear Dad,

Happy Father's Day.

This article you're currently reading with your very eyes is part of your own doing. You taught me to chase my passions and to never be intimidated by opportunity. Instead, you taught us to seize it. I don't believe that I would have the confidence in my intelligence if not for you. If not for what was once annoying questions of morality, mandatory distinguishing between AC/DC and Queen and math problems at Moraine Valley, I can promise I would be basic. You allowed me to express myself, supporting me each step, whether it be wearing pajama pants absolutely everywhere or shaving my head: You gave me confidence to be myself.

You challenged my thoughts, dissecting my stances on issues to ensure I truly understood the depths of my claim. I appreciate the steps you took to show us that we possessed far more potential than society ever led us to believe. You encouraged my creative thoughts and questions, never shooting them down, never silencing my passion and always encouraging me to expand more. I appreciate your never-ending inspiration, no matter how many times I have changed the idea of what I want my future to be. The attendance at Johnson and Wales and the multi-day college road trip, you were present every step of the way. Thank you for allowing me to recognize that I have choice in life and that I pave my own path. Never allowing me to settle for B's: You always pushed for me to be my absolute best. You practiced what you preached and did your very best. The countless late-night car rides after work, driven dinner when I would be sick, kind words and always a listening ear, you never stopped being awesome.

I apologize for all the selfish, hate-fueled words (I'm sorry, too, Mom). I was ignorant to the thought of you as a human being, expecting a villain and was greeted with, well, quite honestly, confusion. I refused to process emotion, lashing out at any chance I could, like a flame igniting a frenzy upon the touch of oxygen. Your endless support has allowed me to better understand myself, as well as others around me. Our long conversations have allowed me to be far more conscious in every aspect of my life. Thank you for always being there.

Thank you for your oddness, happiness and sunrise watching-ness. You find appreciation in all of life, constantly reflecting on each moment and maintaining a continuous, joyous outlook towards life. You taught me I'm not obligated to hold onto anger and that I was more than capable of growing as person. I just had to be strong. After all, I watched you do it. Sara and I watched you transform as person, never giving up, your fierce attitude and motivation towards knowledge and work continue to spark an ever-growing passion in my being. You never let your passion die, always pursuing improvement while accomplishing your goals. You inspire me to do and be better.

Thank you for always being there and being one of the biggest inspirations in my life. You're not only a teacher, but a great father. You're always patient and always loving. Thank you for expanding my knowledge and love for the world around me.

"So, my father was a person who never lied to me. If I had a question, he answered it. I knew a lot of things at a young age because I was intrigued." - Nick Cannon

I love you, Dad.

P.S. Thank you, Terry, for being an amazing, supportive godfather. You've always encouraged me and Sara, never leaving as a branch of support, no matter the situation that arose. I appreciate your loving words and guidance. We are lucky to have you as a godfather. You're always intrigued by our words, encouraging our thoughts, always keeping open the lines of communication. I truly appreciate your support. Future plans of tattoos, BBQs and trucking will take place, you have my word. I appreciate your patience and constant love. I love and miss you very much.