I Found Happiness After Transferring Twice

Third university is the charm, right?

37
Averie Woodard

It is crazy to think that about two months ago, I was packing to go to my third university. There were hundreds of thoughts running through my mind: will it be easy to make friends at a new school? Will I meet anybody in my classes? Will anybody even be there for summer term? I was once again going to a brand new university, completely by myself. Even though I had anxiety, I was ready to take on anything and I would enjoy my summer session no matter what.

When I pulled into the parking lot with my mom on move-in day, we saw hundreds of freshmen moving in and I felt like the grandparent of the group. I had lived in dorms my whole freshmen year but I still didn't exactly know what to expect at a new school. I unlocked my dorm door and saw that not one of my three roommates had moved in, I had to wonder if any of them were coming. We had contacted each other through social media but we were still complete strangers to each other, I was hoping for the best!

To my surprise, it all worked out great and I did not have the classic crazy college roommate experience (which I had experienced before). I wish that I would have said a large thank you to each of my roommates before moving out, they made living in the dorms once again not so bad.

I have not been the most social person within the last few years, but I knew that I had to make friends at a brand new university so I forced myself out of my shell. It takes a lot to get out of your comfort zone but I was determined to change my attitude, and boy did I.

I went to class and took the risky move of talking to people and making friends within my classes. When people suggest to make friends within your classes, they are one hundred percent right. Try to create relationships in each of your courses because they become the people who you can count on for help within the class and are able to tell you what you missed if you couldn't make it that day.

Although it was great to become friends with my roommates along with some classmates, I had to be even more social and make friends outside of my courses and dorm. I was once scared to talk to anybody that I didn't know somehow, but over the summer I decided to change from an introvert to an extrovert.

Robin S. Sharma once said, "As you move outside of your comfort zone, what was once the unknown and frightening becomes your new normal," and this quote couldn't describe me any better. After making one new friend, I felt invincible and ended up making a few great friendships throughout the semester.

On the last day of classes for the summer, I packed up my dorm into a few boxes and tossed them into the back of my car. Before I left campus to start the trip back home, I decided to give myself a pat on the back. I had stepped onto the campus in the beginning of the summer with a fear that I would want to transfer again or I would have a hard time making any friends. By the time I wrapped up the semester and stepped off of campus, I had fallen in love with the university and gained lifelong friendships. I found my true happiness within a summer session at my third university.