What Happened To Human Decency?

What Happened To Human Decency?

It's not hard to be a decent human

415
What Happened To Human Decency?
flickr.com

Nowadays, if you open your computer or look at a social media app or even walk outside; someone, somewhere is being negative. Negativity is everywhere now and I don’t understand it. Yes, I know there are some serious issues going on the world but that’s no reason to bash someone on social media or not be a decent human. Every time I log onto Twitter, someone is bashing someone else or there’s a Twitter fight. Come on people. Wake up and realize what you are doing. Intentionally hurting someone or bagging on their ideas and beliefs is cruel and there is no need for it. I identify as a Christian but that doesn’t mean that when I see someone who has other beliefs than me; I tear them down and call them stupid or ignorant.

Social media has created an increase in negativity and bullying as a whole. I don’t think you can scroll through Twitter for 5 minutes and not find one negative tweet either about someone else or about life in general. Go ahead, try it. You can’t do it. When did our generation become so hateful? When did entertainment switch from movies and music to high school fights and Twitter drama? Seriously, what is everyone’s problem? We have so much to be thankful for. You woke up today, be thankful. You can go to school and get an education, be thankful. You have a car that can get you from point A to point B, be thankful.

Something that has always bothered is the fact that people are so concerned with other people’s lives. Why? What is the point of talking negatively about someone? There isn’t. If someone wants to go party every weekend, good for them. It doesn’t personally affect me in any way so I don’t care. If a girl wants to hang out and date a bunch of different guys, good for her. It doesn’t affect me so I don’t care. I’ve seen so many people on social media spreading hate about another person’s life choices and I don’t get it. Just because someone doesn’t choose to live their life the way you do doesn’t mean you have the right to bash them and be hateful. I follow Jesus and I am a Christian and because of that belief, I believe that I have no right to judge anyone on what they choose to do because guess what, I’m a sinner as well and God sees all sin the same. The only perfect person that has ever walked this earth was God so he is the only person who has any right to judge anyone.

I've seen this a lot recently especailly with the upcoming election. When someone posts who they are voting for, they are torn to shreds and called stupid and ignorant. I've even seen an occasion where someone was told to go shoot themselves or drink bleach. First off, that is never ever okay to tell someone to kill themselves. Suicide is not a joke and that is a phrase that people should never say. Second, just because someone thinks Trump should be president or Hillary should be president does not mean that you have any right to demean them and call them stupid. I'm all about having a professional, mature conversation about politics but you can't do that anymore with social media. I have not posted one thing about politics on any of my social media. Why? Simply because I don't wish to be harassed and told that I need to die because of who I choose to vote for. The point of having an election is because people will vote for different candidates. That's why we have an election. It doesn't make sense to me why people are literally attacking others based on who they choose to vote for. Just because someone has other opinions than you does not mean you have any right as a fellow human to attack them and harass them.

The fact that there are commercials airing about human kindness and people being compassionate and spreading positivity is kind of sad. Kindness and positivity should be a thing that everyone practices. It shouldn't come as a surprise when people do kind things for others. Obviously, everyone has bad days and some people do have a rough life but there is always something to be grateful for. You should always be kind to people no matter what. If you read this article, I want to challenge you to do something nice for someone today or tomorrow or sometime this week. Whatever it is, just be kind and spread positivity. Also my other challenge is to tweet something positive every day and don’t retweet or post anything negative for a whole week and see what a difference it makes. I try and do it every day and sometimes it is challenging because I’ve had a bad day but posting something positive helps and it can brighten someone else’s day. Make kindness a trend.

Try and be encouraging and friendly. If you see someone eating alone, sit with them. If you see that someone has a lot of stuff to carry, offer to help carry them. Just be nice to people. We are all human and we all make mistakes, no matter how extreme or small the mistake is; it happens. People are just too judgmental nowadays and honestly I don’t get it. If God can forgive us for all our sins that we have committed in our lives, you can forgive people and be nice to people. Let’s be kind people and let’s be the generation that brings back positivity and human decency; not negativity and hatred. Let’s spread kindness and take a stand against the negativity around the world. One small act of kindness leads to big acts of kindness that can, in a literal sense, change the world. #spreadpositivity