13 Unavoidable Situations No One Warns You Will Happen In College

It’s stressful not knowing what to expect and terrifying, but it’s an adventure.
1209

No matter how many “How to Prepare for College” articles you read, there are certain situations that are impossible to prepare for. They will happen when you least expect it and without any warning. Some are tiny and others are just downright scary.

1. The unbelievably long line to get into the dining hall on mashed potato and popcorn chicken day.

Check the menu - if possible - on the days when you have little time to eat.

2. Sitting on hold with the records office for at least an hour just to get told to call back the next day.

Stay calm. They can’t help it.

3. Being stopped by families on tours to ask where (fill in the blank) Hall is.

Usually, walking with headphones in helps, but some people don’t get a clue so just be polite and help them go on their way and maybe they’ll pay it forward.

4. Being called profane names because you don’t respond politely enough to random guys driving by in cars.

Some guys are pigs so, walk in groups or call someone if you feel unsafe, but ignore it.

5. Being in a packed elevator with a couple who are PDA heavy even though there is barely room to breathe.

Some people have no manners.

6. A fire alarm going off at a highly inconvenient time for a ridiculous reason.

Example: 1 a.m. Thursday of finals week when it is eight degrees outside, all because of a malfunctioning alarm.

7. Running to class because you’re late only to find out you went to the wrong building at the wrong time because it is Wednesday, not Thursday.

Two words: Aw and Kward. (Hint hint, awkward.)

8. Walking past your professor on the quad while skipping their class.

This is just uncomfortable.

9. Forgetting to eat.

You will get so caught up in studying for an exam and working on a group project while preparing for two presentations that some things, like eating, will slip your mind. Keep snacks in your room, just in case.

10. The Walmart rush the week of move-in.

Be prepared to walk or drive in circles to get a parking spot.

11. The awkward eye contact in the dining hall between you and the person you sit next to in class after skipping class earlier that day.

Even though I have no commitment to the people around me in class, and attendance isn’t required, I still have a tiny amount of guilt from skipping. (Don't skip class kids.)

12. Getting ready for class and being early only to walk there and find a note on the door saying that class has been canceled.

It sucks. They send us a million emails at once but don’t bother to send one when it comes to canceling class.

13. Hearing all the mothers on your floor crying on the day of move-in.

Make sure the tissues are readily available.

It’s stressful not knowing what to expect and terrifying, but it’s an adventure. Life is meant to be explored and lived and part of that are new experiences.