Halsey's Kingdom Creates A Safe Space For All

These are the moments and events that I cherish while using them to remind myself that there is a whole community dedicated to spreading love and acceptance.
40

Within the last five years, many people within the spotlight have come forward to show their support for the LGBTQ+ community; many have even come out and shared their own stories.

As the support and love continue to increase, safe spaces are beginning to form. A safe space, according to Google, is where “people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm.”

Musicians, especially, are using their concerts as a place where this type of environment can be established; individuals within the crowd can be themselves and exist without the fear of harsh judgment. These spaces, that are filled with encouragement and endless love, are a rare occurrence in today’s society.

Halsey is one artist that has always succeeded in creating safe spaces for all individuals; an atmosphere in which diversity is embraced and safety is a priority.

She’s both a member and major ally of the LGBTQ+ community which is evident in her music, creative visuals, and even her social media presence. Halsey isn’t afraid to stand up to individuals who try to demonize her for loving and encouraging this community; she shuts them down every time. She’s one of the many fearless performers who use their platform to educate others and show LGBTQ+ youth that their identities are valid.

Halsey has now taken this message and her safe space on the road.

She is currently on the first installment of her Hopeless Fountain Kingdom Tour and I got to attended her Austin, Texas show on October 27th. I have been a huge fan of hers for a few years and so, naturally, I was ready to lose my voice from screaming every song.

Going in, I already knew what to expect: an incredible concert surrounded by beautiful people. But what I experienced was more than I could’ve ever imagined, as cliche as it may sound. The overall atmosphere was energetic throughout the show and I could feel the love within the venue; whether it was the love of life, another person, or self-love. The emotional aspect of this show escalated right before her song, “Strangers,” featuring Lauren Jauregui from Fifth Harmony.

Halsey asked the crowd, “Who’s a member of the LGBT community? Who’s a proud friend or family member?”

The venue erupted into excited heart-felt screams. She continued by stating, “This is a safe place; this tour was created for you.” As she said this, I felt chills all over my body; I was taken aback by the realization that I genuinely was in a safe space.

As a member of the LGBTQ+ community myself, I felt comfortable which is a rare feeling.

I was attending the show with my girlfriend and for once I wasn’t scared to kiss her cheek or put my arm around her; I knew that if someone were to spew their hate at us that there would be ten times as many people ready to defend us. This feeling of comfort made the concert one of the most magical nights I have ever experienced.

The importance of safe spaces for LGBTQ+ youth is essential in today’s society. With the current political climate and the increase in social hate and prejudice, finding a place to fearlessly express yourself without fear of judgment is hard to come by.

Events and places where people can bond over the topic at hand, whether it be music, movie or a support group, aids in creating community. Music and various art forms have always been a tool to cope with situations and an avenue of escape for most people.

Moments of comfort and safety will be a daily reality in the future for LGBTQ+ individuals through the resilience of the community and the messages of acceptance that they continue to spread.