Haiti and the American Red Cross

Haiti and the American Red Cross

One of the largest humanitarian foundations put themselves in jeopardy and may not be able to be trusted.
43

After Haiti endured damages from Hurricane Matthew, hundreds of people were killed and thousands were left with no homes.

To help the despoiled nation, Haiti needs support and funding in order to recover from the austerity. They have experienced two natural disasters with only six years between both.

American Red Cross is one of the biggest humanitarian organizations; it provides emergency assistance and disaster relief; national or international. It is also the government-approved organization that has been helping Haiti.

According to the Washington Post, Haitian citizen and former development worker Francis Francois went to social media to express what to do in order to help the disaster within the cities.One of the first things she stated was to not donate to the American Red Cross.

Her post has been shared by thousands of users, growing a consensus among Haitians and Haitian Americans that the American Red Cross cannot be trusted.

In 2010, Haiti had another natural disaster, they suffered a major earthquake, it decimated majority of the island. American Red Cross was the foundation to manage the relief efforts.The Red Cross had $500 million in relief money to provide an opportunity to rebuild many homes.The Red Cross built only six homes by 2012, spotlighting the organization and becoming heavily distrusted within the charity’s workforce.

The Red Cross is governed by volunteers and supported by community donations, money not made up with in the company but from citizens all over, hoping their donations reach an impact.

How did the Red Cross receive half a billion dollars only to construct six houses?

NPR and ProPublica have had investigations into and critiques on the ethics of the Red Cross. NPR revealed that Red Cross stated it provided homes for more than 13,000 people. But the actual homes were six of all of Haiti.

Gail McGovern, the Red Cross CEO even stated they were going to build brand new communities but none was built.

ProPublica found out the Red Cross mismanaged their funds early on.The Red Cross made efforts to hire locals and put them in leadership positions to format projects on restructuring the company. Basically, the strategy of expertise was a failure, putting halts on fortifying homes for citizens.

NPR reported in June, the Red Cross spent 25 percent of Haiti donations on internal expenses. This camouflaged the claims that they spend money “supporting the 4.5 million Haitians." The actuality is that the Red Cross constructed countless temporary shelters for Haitian citizens.

The placement on the ARC’s ignominy on humanitarian efforts needs a drastic makeover. To make sure donations and nonprofit funding’s for Haiti relief, put your donations within Haitian-led organizations that has higher considerations as Haiti is in desperation for help.