13 Habits To Quit That You Didn't Even Know Were Unhealthy

Believe it or not.
762

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is so important not only to your physical health, but your mental health and wellbeing. It is okay to have cheat days and cheat meals every now and then, but creating healthy habits is the first step on your road to a healthy lifestyle. Most healthy habits are obvious, but here are 13 habits that you may be doing that will hold you back from your healthy lifestyle:

1. Drinking diet soda.

Just because it says "diet" does NOT mean it is not damaging to your body. There is an abundance of undeniable research that proves there are harsh ingredients in these drinks that will not only make you gain weight, but has been proven to increase your chances of cancer. Please stop drinking them!

2. Running on little sleep.

Some people believe that they can function just fine on five or six hours of sleep. But, research has proven that getting the appropriate amount of sleep improves memory, boosts creativity, improves grades, helps you maintain a healthy weight, lowers stress, and decreases your chances of depression. Plus, no one likes being exhausted throughout the day. Get your rest!

3. Eating late at night.

When you eat late at night or right before you go to bed, your body does not have time to fully process the foods you have eaten as efficiently as eating hours before you go to bed. Eating late at night also slows down your metabolism and could potentially interfere with sleep.

4. Eating "free" foods.

Fat-free, gluten-free, or anything else that has "free" something does not necessarily mean you are eating the "healthier" version of something. Sometimes, these foods will add another unhealthy ingredient, such as sugar, to replace the lack of fat, gluten, or whatever else may be missing.

5. Weighing yourself every day.

This is just a number and you are more than a number. The scale also doesn't break down how much muscle and fat your body is storing. Don't let this number get you down.

6. Using your time at the gym as an excuse to eat junk food.

"You went to the gym today, so it's okay to eat that pizza." NO. You could spend three hours a day at the gym, but that time is meaningless if you are eating unhealthy foods. It does NOT balance out, that is a total myth!

7. Not drinking enough water.

Believe it or not, water actually makes you feel full when you drink enough of it. If you drink a few glasses before you eat a meal, you will more than likely eat less. Drinking lots of water will also improve your skin and hydrate your body.

8. Cutting out a food source.

Many people completely cut out sugar, carbs, or other food sources for a diet. Unless you have an intolerance to these or your doctor recommends you remove them from your diet, it is actually unhealthy to do so. It is almost fully ineffective in helping you lose weight and your body will negatively react to these food sources once you start eating them again.

9. Taking medication every time something hurts.

Tired? Don't take ZzzQuil, you'll fall asleep eventually and naturally. Stomach hurt? Don't take Pepto Bismol. Try pooping or resting. Have a headache? Don't take an Advil. Use a cool compress or rest. The more you use medication every time something hurts a little bit, the more the drugs will become ineffective because your body is building an immunity to them.

10. Eating too fast.

We are all guilty of this at some point or another. But, the slower we eat, the smaller your stomach will become and the less food you will eat.

11. Spending too much time on technology.

Your eyes, body, and mind need some fresh air. Take a walk and stop killing your brain cells.

12. Making excuses.

Stop making excuses to not eat well, to not go to the gym, or from other healthy habits. The only thing stopping you from being healthy is you. Yes, you do have time to make healthy habits. STOP. MAKING. EXCUSES.

13. Doubting yourself.

If you want to look better and feel better on your road to a healthy lifestyle, you need to stop doubting yourself. You can do absolutely anything you set your mind to, and it is crucial for you to love yourself and to believe in yourself. You need to accept that there will be bad days and cheat days, and that's okay.

I wish you the best of luck on your road to your healthy lifestyle!