14 Things I've Learned From Hitting The Gym For 6 Months Straight, And #1 Is It's Not Easy

I've learned a lot about the gym, working out and myself from that time.

1558

I am not an athletic person, by any means. I hate running, I hate sweating and the thought of exercise makes me cringe.

Or, at least, it used to. I have been attending my gym regularly for the past six months, and I've learned a lot about the gym, working out and myself from that time.

1. It's Not Easy

It is so much easier to just stay home and watch TV than to leave the house and go work out. And if you do actually persuade yourself to go, it can be very difficult to find the motivation to actually do an effective workout. You'll want to give up a lot. Don't do it half-hearted. You're there, you might as well get in a good session.

2. It's A Slow Process

Depending on what results you're trying to see, it's a pretty slow process. You won't just go to the gym for a week and then wake up on the weekend with abs (trust me...I wished it was true, too.) This might discourage you, but remember, slow progress is better than no progress.

3. You'll Have More Energy

I always thought that if I went to the gym I'd be more tired and want to sleep all the time. And I do want to nap when I'm done working out, but that's not what I'm saying. I have so much more energy now than I used to six plus months ago. I want to play sports now with my friends and run around. I don't feel so sluggish anymore.

4. You'll Feel Strong

The best thing is when you get that good sore feeling after a good workout. You feel strong and empowered. Slowly seeing your muscles define is awesome because you feel, well, strong.

5. Water Is Your Best Friend

I was never the kid who ordered sodas at restaurants or vending machines. I always drank water. I was a water kid. That being said, as I started working out more, I noticed the true importance of having a water bottle with you. It's your best friend during and after workouts.

6. There Are A Lot Of Body Types... And They're All Beautiful

I think about this one a lot. There are so many different types of people at my gym. There are bodybuilders, girls who look like they could snap in half, girls who look like they could snap me in half, people just starting their journey, older folks etc.

It's a very diverse place, and if nothing else, I've noticed that not every person is built the same. Not everyone loses weight the same. Everyone is different, and we're all beautiful in our own ways--as cheesy as that sounds.

7. Workout Classes Are Fun

I feel like a stay-home mom when I say this, but I take Zumba classes multiple times a week. And I love it. It's a way to work out that doesn't really feel like working out because it's just so fun! Plus, you make friends in the class, and it's like seeing your school friends but they're gym friends.

8. ...They're Also Horrible

I also take a step-cardio sculpt class, and it freaking kicks my butt! It is one of the worst things I've ever done because I'm sore for the whole next week after it...I love it.

9. There's Good Sore and Bad Sore

There is a difference between muscles that you don't usually use being sore and actually being hurt. Be careful with that because you don't want to mistake it for being fine and then hurt yourself worse.

10. That Scale Is The Only One You Trust

I don't know about anyone else, but I only trust the scale at my gym now. It's big and metal and looks very official. It always gives me an accurate reading while my one at home is flaky. I only trust the gym.

11. It's Addicting

Now for some people, it's bad because they literally become addicted to it. But for me, it's just something I look forward to doing daily. If I miss my workouts, I feel weird. I love going to the gym and I love getting work put in.

12. It's a Mood Booster

I will leave the gym, dripping with sweat, breathing heavy as I say, "I'm dead," with a huge smile on my face. It's a great place to let out anger, stress or anxiety on the machines.

13. You'll Feel Proud

No matter if the change you see is big or small, the first time you see change in yourself you feel proud. Adding more weight is a proud moment. Running for five minutes longer than last time is a proud moment. You'll feel proud of yourself for what you're doing.

14. You Learn How To Stay Committed

One of the things I struggled with most at first was keeping constant at the gym. I'd miss days and get other plans. Now, I stick to my schedule. I am there three to five days a week, and the days I'm not there, I'm boxing at home. I've stayed committed to my schedule, and I love it.