A Guided Meditation

I watched a TED Talk a few months ago in which mindfulness expert Andy Puddicombe speaks about transforming the mind by challenging oneself to be silent and mindful for ten minutes. No texting. No staring at a screen. No looking around. No thinking. Just ten pure minutes to refresh your mind.

This presentation really spoke to me. I am a yogi and yoga instructor who at times struggles with being mindful. Sometimes, when life moves really fast and my day gets intensely busy, I forget to take a look around me and simply breathe. But once I realize I have not been present, I bring my attention back to the moment and breathe into it. That is what we all need to be doing. As humans, our minds are filled with constant thoughts that flash around in our head. We need to acknowledge these thoughts, yes, but then we need to simply return to the present moment; we need to return to what is in front of us and what is happening in our lives right now.

Since technology is progressing at such a rapid rate, it is really easy to get wrapped up in the newest facet of technology, social media, and spend your day staring at a screen, texting. What is challenging is being mindful and being present. I want you to try mindfulness as soon as you can. The first time you sit down today, close your eyes and begin to silence your world. It will be difficult if you are not used to it. The concept will feel draining; you will check your watch and say to yourself, "It's only been three minutes, what?" But once you make mindfulness a part of your daily life, time in meditation will flash by.

It just takes ten minutes. Liberate yourself from the world for just ten minutes. You do not even have to be sitting down or have your eyes shut with your palms to your knees. You can be mindful by going on a walk or running. Yes, that is a thing--meditating whilst running or walking.

Use ten minutes of your day to take a walk around; listen to the birds chirp. Listen to the way the trees' leaves rub together, making that nice electric sound. Look at how the sun sits in the sky, its rays shining upon a clear path ahead of you. Watch the colors change in the sky above you. Use these ten minutes to be thankful of everything and everyone you have; to count your blessings. There's always something to be grateful for, even if it's the shoes you are wearing and the clothes on your back. Find the positive in the smallest of things. You will be a happier person this way.

My challenge for you is this: use ten minutes of your day to be a more present individual. Maybe when you first wake up, so that you do not have a lot of thoughts rambling around in your head, maybe on your lunch break or before you hit the hay. Maybe you will find the time in the oddest of hours. If you think you do not have time to mediate for ten minutes, then you are one of those people who need this mindfulness practice the most. Find yourself in the present moment, breathe into it, and free your mind.