Recruitment Season

Recruitment Season

A guide to all the excitement, high heels and songs.

85
Recruitment Season
Abby Zajac

Call me crazy but I am actually thankful for the stressful week just one year ago that has given me Chi Omega and my pledge class.

Recruitment season is here and there are a million rising freshman girls picking out outfits, perfecting their resumes and getting nervous for something they should really be excited for. Here is my advice to you as someone who has been through recruitment, stressed out during recruitment, and found my home within Greek Life

For starters, listen to your Rho Gammas.Your Rho Gamma is your recruitment guide. (They may be called something different on your campus). They have seen both sides of recruitment and honestly have your best interest at heart. Looking back on my recruitment I realized how unbiased Rho Gamma’s have to be. I experienced this when I was torn between two houses and my Rho Gamma’s helped me through it. At the time I didn't know one of them was a member of the sorority I was deciding between. It’s fun to guess what sorority your Rho Gamma belongs to but know that this time is hard for them because they have been disaffiliated for quite some time, know nothing of what is going on behind the scenes and can’t hang out with their sisters or anyone greek. Your Rho Gamma’s know the sororities on your campus better than anyone else, so trust them.

While listening to your Rho Gamma’s become friends with the other girls in your group. You will be going through a lot over the next couple of days and even the time leading up until recruitment. At Samford, we had already started school when we were placed in our Rho Gamma groups and as more people decided to go through formal recruitment, the bigger our groups got. That first month of school I never could have imagined that some of my closest friends now would have been from that group, and we all went to separate houses in the end. Greek Unity, am I right?

BE YOURSELF. Conversations will flow well because you will be talking to girls that have similarities with you. Don't be afraid to be yourself because that's the person they want to see. They know your hometown, your high school GPA, and anything you put on your resume. This might sound frightening and a little strange but it’s weird for them too. They want to have great conversations and get to know you. They also want you to be placed in the sorority that is perfect for you. Remember, that it is okay to have a great conversation with a girl and not think your a great fit for that sorority. It happens on both ends. Just because you get dropped doesn't mean you don't have great qualities but more so you wouldn't be as happy in their sorority as another. I have friends in all different sororities as well as my own.

Before recruitment know what you want out of a sisterhood, not only because you will be asked but so you know how to make a decision when it comes down to ranking the sororities. Personally, I wanted a philanthropy that I could be passionate about and I have loved working with Make A Wish as a Chi Omega. I also wanted girls who would challenge me to be better but who also seemed authentic with their friendships. People may ask you if you think you are paying for friendships. Trust me, you aren’t paying for friendships but instead, you are paying for the events, the t-shirts, and dues.

Go into recruitment with an open mind. There is nothing worst than disappointment during rush because the following night you have to be back at it, looking your best, full smiles and acting your best. Going into recruitment you should not only look at the older girls in the sorority but also the girls you are rushing with. You do you want to be associated with for the next four years? Who do you want to spend endless hours planning philanthropy and sisterhood events?

I’m not saying don’t pay attention to the reputations that sororities hold around campus because those are important but don’t let them make your decision for you.

My last tip and then I will be done. After going to party after party it starts to get hard to remember which house you prefer. Although I only went through five sororities, I was getting them confused with each other. It’s hard enough remembering each sororities philanthropy, let alone the skit they did or song they sang. After I left each party I wrote down on an index card that my Rho Gamma’s kept for me one word that reminded me of the sorority. Some of the descriptive words that would remind me of conversations I had, decorations, the way I felt and the overall mood were faith, reliable, comfortable, inclusive, happy, and energetic. All of these seem positive but if you were to rank these words 1-6 which would be your top choice?

Each house you enter will look amazing. Girls will be smiling and laughing as they go through the schedule of the night. The important thing to remember is it’s not whether or not the sorority sings your favorite song the first night, has perfect decorations the second night but whether or not you feel comfortable and are able to be yourself on Pref Night.

Running home to your sorority on Bid Day is amazing. After all the ups and downs of the week, you can relax because you are home. You can now get excited for Big/Little, Formals and Philanthropy events. Good luck to everyone going through Recruitment, although it is a stressful time it usually works out for the best, and this won't be the last time you hear that.

XOXO