How to survive tailgating

On The War Path: A Guide To Surviving Football Season At FSU

Every tailgate is a battle field- prepare yourself.

171
Elisa Nuñez Rodriguez

Football season has finally come around and we couldn't be more grateful. Our lives will have meaning again, our classes will seem to fly by during the week as we count down the minutes until kickoff. It's going to be an especially great year since Coach Willie Taggart will be leading the Seminoles to victory, after last year's shit show with a certain coach that will remain nameless...

It isn't always fun and games while preparing to dominate the football field. You have to be in peak physical condition in order to withstand a full day of tailgating and dartying. You have to survive the tailgate and make it to Doak on time to try and watch the game before you pass out.

1. Stay hydrated.

The key to surviving a tailgate and football game is staying hydrated. Keep a bottle of water close by and don't be embarrassed to ask for water. It's 2018, we're staying hydrated out here.

2. Wear comfortable shoes.

Every girl will post her game day outfit on Instagram and your feet will hurt by just looking at what she's wearing. Please wear comfortable shoes for game day. No heels or wedges. Wear sneakers and, if you must, wear sandals. Keep in mind that drinks will be spilled on your feet, you'll be walking and standing all day, and you will be attending a sporting event.

3. Eat a hearty breakfast.

Some people choose to skip breakfast and go straight to drinking. Bold move, Cotton. Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day, especially when you plan to drink and stand in the sun all day long. Doesn't matter if you load up on waffles from Waffle House or finish off the pizza from the night before, just make sure you've got food in your system. Luckily, we'll have two Chick-Fil-A's to eat breakfast from.

4. Stick with your group.

Getting lost on game day can be traumatic. Stick with your group and keep an eye on any members that may stray too far. You can't hear your phone ringing in the student section at Doak and you most definitely don't want to miss any action on the field while looking for your lost friend. So stay together and keep tabs on your friends.

5. Wear Garnet and Gold.

You don't want to be singled out for not wearing the greatest colors in college football. Sure, black and white are acceptable, but nothing screams "National Champs" like garnet and gold.

6. Prepare to walk everywhere.

If you're going to the game, watching it at a bar, or have decided to raid a frat party, just be prepared to walk, a lot. Uber surge charges will be ridiculous, so walking will be the best method of transportation. You'll travel in packs with other fans to and from Doak so everyone will be suffering from blistered feet.

7. Don't go out to eat.

Gameday means every bar and restaurant will be packed with fans trying to get a good meal and a glimpse of the game on the TV. Expect your meal wait time to be over half an hour, so if you don't have to go out to eat, don't. Grill out or pray for Bite Squad delivery.

8. Prepare for the post-win party.

Whether you're going to Bajas, Township, or a house party, hopefully you've found time to rest and recharge for the Seminoles post-win celebrations. It's gonna be a long day and an even longer party, so get yourself ready. We'll be doing the chop all night long.

9. Memorize the War Chant.

It's the best fight song to have ever been made. It's so good that it's even be remixed and played at the bars. Give it all you got when you chant it at Doak, chop along with all your friends when it's being played, and remember, there's no "what what" in the fight song.