bucket list things nyc

19 Things You Should Add To The Itinerary For Your First Trip To New York City

A few pointers to make the most out of your visit.

177
Gabrielle Faletto

From someone who has a passion for traveling, I couldn't wait to step foot in New York City for the first time. Getting to travel outside of my small hometown surrounded by corn fields was one thing, but have you walked through Times Square eating a pizza that is almost four times the size of your palm? Now that is something to cross off a bucket list.

Speaking of which, I create bucket lists for the times when I travel somewhere new and exciting, like the big apple, and I think you should too! Starting off with the Metropolitan Museum of Art and stretching all the way to the Statue of Liberty, the following list not only includes the must-see tourist attractions NYC has to offer, but also some of the best food finds along the way.

So whether you hope to visit New York City sometime in the future or are a local currently riding the subway trying to find somewhere new to eat for lunch, get out there and explore the unfamiliar.

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Tess Murray

Location: 1000 5th Ave, New York, NY 10028

Hours: Sunday through Thursday: 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Friday through Saturday: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Price: Adult Admission: $25, Senior Admission: $17, Student Admission: $12

Favorite exhibit: The Temple of Dendur in The Sackler Wing

2. Central Park

Tess Murray

Location: Central Park, New York, NY

Hours: 6 a.m. through 1 a.m. everyday of the week

3. Tisserie

Tisserie

Location: 870 7th Ave, New York, NY 10019

Hours: 7 a.m. through 8 p.m. everyday of the week

4. Bryant Park Grill

Bryant Park Grill

Location: 25 W 40th St, New York, NY 10018

Hours: 11:30 a.m. through 11 p.m. everyday of the week

Price: $$$

5. Times Square

Gabrielle Faletto

Location: Times Square, Manhattan, NY 10036

6. Joe's Pizza

Gabrielle Faletto

Location: 1435 Broadway, New York, NY 10018

Hours: Thursday through Saturday: 10 a.m. - 3:30 a.m. and Sunday through Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 2:30 a.m.

Price: $

Favorite pizza: Margherita

7. Grand Central Station

Gabrielle Faletto

Location: 89 E 42nd St, New York, NY 10017

8. Empire State Building

Unsplash

Location: 20 W 34th St, New York, NY 10001

Hours for the 86th floor (main deck): 8 a.m. through 2 a.m. everyday of the week

Price to go to the 86th floor: $$$

9. Melt Shop

Tess Murray

Location: 55 W 26th St, New York, NY 10010

Hours: 11 a.m. through 10 p.m. everyday of the week

Price: $$

Favorite meal: The Burger Melt

10. Devocion

Instagram

Location: 69 Grand St, Brooklyn, NY 11249

Hours: Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Price: $$

11. Chelsea Market

Tess Murray

Location: 75 9th Ave, New York, NY 10011

Hours: Monday through Saturday: 7 a.m. - 2 a.m. and Sunday: 8 a.m. - 10 p.m.

12. Milk Bar

Hope Johnson

Location: 220 8th Ave, New York, NY 10011

Hours: Sunday through Thursday: 8 a.m. - 11 p.m. and Friday through Saturday: 8 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Price: $$

Favorite flavor: birthday cake shake

13. The High Line

Stranger

Location: The High Line, New York, NY 10011

Hours: 7 a.m. through 7 p.m. everyday of the week

14. Washington Square Park

Location: Washington Square Park, New York, NY 10012

15. 9/11 Memorial

Unsplash

Location: 180 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10007

Hours: 9 a.m. through 8 p.m. everyday of the week

16. Neighbor's Cafe

Gabrielle Faletto

Location: 60 Furman St, 1st Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201

Hours: 6 a.m. through 7 p.m. everyday of the week

Price: $

17. Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge

Tess Murray

Location: Front St and Washington St, Brooklyn, NY 11201

18. The Bagel Store

Instagram

Location: 754 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211

Hours: 7 a.m. through 6 p.m. everyday of the week

Price: $

Most famous bagel: Original rainbow bagel

19. Statue of Liberty

Unsplash

Location: Statue of Liberty, New York, NY 10004

Hours: 8:30 a.m. through 4 p.m. everyday of the week

Price: Free ferry ride