5 Things Every College Kid Should Try This Semester

Wanting Growth Is Not The Same As Admitting Defeat

I need to take my education and my wellbeing seriously.

82

I told myself I was not going to write another "getting my shit together" article until I got back for the spring semester at the earliest, but as I have been talking to my parents, my friends, and my boyfriend, it has occurred to me that there are definitely things I haven't been doing, and for the dumbest reason: being afraid.

I've decided my new motto this semester is "be fearless." I'm not going to sit quietly and do nothing this semester. That being said, here are 5 things I am promising myself I'll do this semester:

1. Say "no."

I am tired of telling myself that I need to do everything. I need to help that freshman who is struggling and missing home. I need to plan more events for my club. I need to study more. I need to go out on the weekends and be active all the time. I have a horrible habit of feeling like if I do not go somewhere where I know something is happening I'll feel like I'll miss out. I am not saying I am going to avoid people, but I'm not going to be so caught up in doing everything just because there are other people asking me to.

PS. I'm being extra serious about this one and trying to tighten up a bit on helping people out with notes and help with papers if they're only talking to me for that. I don't mind getting close to people in my lectures, but it's obvious when people are only using you for your brain and their lack of effort.

2.  Get out of my comfort zone

I am going to try something new this semester. I don't know if it'll be earth-shattering, but I am going to do one thing that I didn't expect. Maybe I'll join a club I didn't expect or become more active in the student life department of college. Maybe I'll pay to go on some kind of excursion or apply to programs and trips I don't think I am qualified for. Heck, maybe I'll just walk up to a professor and ask them more about their research. But I am going to work on being a more confident, assertive, and active person.

3. Go back to things that make me happy

I was the girl in my high school that did EVERYTHING. Drama, journalism, National Honor Society, being a TA, choir. I LOVED being active and busy and using all my time to do fun things. Besides taking journalism classes, I haven't really done much with my high school interests. I've gotten intimidated by the really good drama clubs, thought I wasn't good enough to publish in official university periodicals, and said that the only way I can sing is if I take some kind of class. NO MORE. I have determined that I am going to attend every production put on by the drama clubs this semester. I'm going to take a theatre class and not hold back, and DAMN IT, those drama minors are going to get a run for their money. I'm going to meetings for the literary magazines, entering contests, and getting my name in print again.

I'm making good on being happy for myself.

4. Save my money

This one is going to be difficult, but I am going to try hard to use my meal plan instead of my points. I'm going to cut down on snacking. I'm going to take my water bottle everywhere and save my paychecks like I did when I first got to college. I'm going to make extravagant plans, but I am going to limit them so I am not spending all of my money as soon as I get it and blaming "having fun" and "the college experience" for why I am broke.

5. Grow my relationships

I have been told by multiple people that I am not always the most attentive to my friends. I try to be there for them, but I don't always listen to what they say. I don't try to help so much as say I will be there, only to text back four hours later when they actually need something. I am going to try harder to make it so my friends and boyfriend can rely on me. I am going to work on compromise, give and take, and see what comes of it. I am going to let my peers see a more positive side of me, and a side that wants them to grow and succeed as people, not just succeed or grow if they are with me.

I'm ready to make my relationships a garden (as corny as that sounds). Every plant is important and deserves attention.