Growth Comes With Feeling Uncomfortable

Growth Comes With Feeling Uncomfortable

Stepping outside of your comfort zone is the only way you'll see growth.

72
Growth Comes With Feeling Uncomfortable
Ahniaelyah Spraggs

Before I came to college I was very outgoing and easy to talk to. I didn't have much of a problem having meaningful conversations with anyone. Because I grew up in a small town in which everyone knew everyone, I was able to develop numerous friendships in my hometown. However, once I became an undergrad I became an introvert. Going from graduating amongst less than 200 students to attending a school with about 30,000 students was a lot to take in.

My first year of college I lived in a residence hall that was apartment style, so I had my own room and the washer and dryer were also within our apartment. When I filled out my housing application I ranked that residence hall as my fourth choice because I didn't want to feel closed off from the rest of campus. Based off of pictures, it appeared that that residence hall was more fit for shy people who didn't wish to interact as much with their roommates. Still, I was determined to make the best of my situation.

However, the night of move-in day I was really quiet. I sat in my room with my door open while my roommates talked about any and everything. At that moment it dawned on me that I was feeling homesick and uncomfortable about living with new people and making new friends. Still, I was looking forward to the fact that I got to move in a week early for RAM CAMP. RAM CAMP is essentially where freshmen get a week-long experience in which they learn their way around campus, make tons of friends and get free VCU gear.

The first challenge I faced during RAM CAMP occurred when we went to the University of Richmond. One of the activities we did was a high ropes course, which I was a little nervous to do but at least tried doing. After climbing up the rope ladder, we had to walk across two ropes which were formed in the shape of the letter ‘x.' Once we got to the middle of those ropes, we had to turn around and walk backward on one of the ropes. And despite being scared out of my mind, I refused to give up. And when my turn came, I struggled and continuously fell, but because my Ram Camp leaders and other campers in my group kept pushing me I didn't give up.

The next major challenge I faced on-campus came when I joined my first organization called VCU Globe. VCU Globe is a global education living-learning program. With this organization, members live in their own residence hall and have the ability to study abroad and live with international students. The same time in which I applied for VCU Globe, I also applied to be a Resident Assistant. However, I was really hoping to live in VCU Globe with a roommate and amongst international students.

Though I did get into VCU Globe, I also became an RA and was put into a residence hall without a kitchen or a roommate. Before being placed in this new residence hall, I would think it was nearly impossible to survive in college without a kitchen. I also was concerned that I wouldn't be able to bond with my residents at all because, at that point, I still felt like an introvert. However, I have learned how to make different meals using a crockpot. I have also been able to bond with my residents to the point where some of them tell me they love me and a lot of their faces just light up with joy when they see me.

Today I am more than thankful that I stepped outside of my comfort zone and I didn't shy away from new opportunities. I know there's still room for improvement and I am certainly a work in progress. Occasionally I do still have moments where I'm quiet around certain people. However, I have learned to embrace those moments and understand that sometimes I may not feel like talking or have much to say. And to the person struggling with coming out of their shell, I recommend taking a chance and just doing it. Until you step outside of your comfort zone, you'll never see the results you really desire.