Growing Up Is Harder Than We Thought

Growing Up Is Tougher Than We Thought It Would Be

Remember when all we had to worry about was who we were playing with on the playground?

570

Isn't growing up weird?

Your priorities change. Your friendships change. Your interests change. But most importantly, who you are as a person changes.

Things happen. You make tough decisions. People come and go, sometimes for the wrong reasons. Promises are broken. People change.

People tell you they love you when they don't. People make empty promises. The people you thought would never hurt you, do. The ones who hated you always secretly wanted to be your friend or were jealous of you.

Your family grows apart. They pick sides. Some members are favored over others. Things drive them apart.

Your friendships will change, too. You're no longer chasing each other on the playground. Instead, you're working opposite schedules telling each other how much you miss the other without actually hanging out. The friendship grows weaker and you just let it crumble because that's what happens when you grow up.

You'll get into a relationship. You'll think they're perfect and that you're going to marry them until something drives you apart. You'll experience your first heartbreak and swear off dating until you fall in love again, and then the cycle repeats.

School becomes harder. College is different than high school. Your professors don't care if you show up to class. Your mom won't pack your lunch every day for you. You aren't reminded to do your homework or when to go to to bed. You have to become independent for the first time in your life and that's scary.

The things that used to interest you now bore you. The bands you used to listen to are lame now. Instead of spending your Friday nights with your parents watching movies, you're hanging out with your friends until 3 a.m, regretting it when you have to wake up at 8 for work.

Most of all, it becomes scary when you stop to think about how much you've changed as a person. As you continue to grow up and become an adult, you will experience things that you may not have experienced before.

You have two options. You can either let it make you or let it break you.

As much as I wish I could go back, we can no longer spend our days running around on the playground and taking a nap. We now have to work a job in order to be able to just barely afford the bare minimum and give up our social lives. We have to learn how to make it on our own because our parents aren't going to be around forever.

We have to learn that nobody is going to be there for us. Friends say they'll be there no matter what happens, but they have their own busy lives and often forget about everyone else.

What happened to being little with no responsibilities? When all we had to worry about was who we were playing with on the playground?

Man, I wish I could go back. Growing up is tough.