Growing Up In Rural America
Childhood

21 Rural Town Moments That Will Give You Childhood Flashbacks, If You Grew Up In One

Nothing but corn fields for miles.

146

Growing up in a small town is such a unique experience. It's not anything that urban or city-dwelling people understand. It can be frustrating being rather sheltered from the "real world," but ultimately, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Living in a small town — the same small town, in fact — has made me realize several things that are norms to me that are not necessarily to other people.

Here are some of those truths of small-town life.

1. The only traffic jams are caused by slow trains or tractors on the road.

2. You know summer is in full swing when the farmers are back in their fields harvesting.

3. You are aware of how fast the crops are growing.

One night, they may be only inches tall but be over one foot by the next morning.

4. You have no secrets, because everyone knows everything about everyone.

5. Community life is centered around church.

6. Your commute time within city limits is never higher than 10 minutes.

And that's only because of the traffic lights (yes, we have those).

7. It’s totally normal to drive 20-30 minutes to get to the nearest mall.

This is just for a mall – for the best malls, they're 60+ minutes away.

8. There’s only a couple chain restaurants in the vicinity.

For instance, my town has Dairy Queen, McDonald's, and Subway. Everything else is locally owned restaurants.

9. You learn to drive by landmarks.

What are road names and compass directions? I work best with "the road that goes by the big red barn" or "the road you take to get to the turnpike."

10. If you get lost in the country, you can take the “square mile” and get back to where you started without having to turn around.

11. It’s normal to have friends or date people from nearby towns and school districts.

12. The population isn’t really diverse.

Chances are that everyone is the same ethnicity, religion, and political party as you.

13. You felt safe growing up.

We still lock our doors, but there's never been any serious crimes.

14. It’s totally normal to open your windows and smell poop.

Cow manure: nature's fertilizer.

15. You can’t open your windows if the farmers are working in the fields.

Because your house is either going to smell like poop or blow in dust and dirt.

16. The local newspaper hardly ever has much to tell.

Front-page headlines talk about buildings that are being remodeled, what was discussed at the most recent city council meeting, or a feature story about something unique a citizen did recently.

17. Small-town politics are talked to death over and over.

You'll hear everyone talk about the possible expansion of the main street, when and where the new middle school should be built, and the tax levies.

18. Everyone goes to the same school district because that’s all there is.

19. The majority of people you know all work for the same company.

20. It’s normal to be related to multiple people in any given situation.

21. You were fairly sheltered from certain things.