To The Teacher Who Assigns Group Projects, Please Stop, I'm Begging You

Group projects are the spawn of Satan.
70

Group projects are either your favorite thing or the spawn of Satan. Some people love them because, well, they don't have to do much work, while others would instead run through fire because they there are people in the group who won't do anything.

Professors seem to love assigning group projects. Students hate them and wish never to see it on their syllabus ever again. Without fail, there is always one class that includes dreaded group project.

These projects from hell consist of emailing, texting, finding the time to meet with the other people in your group, and truthfully, a river of tears.

People never agree in a group. There is always one person who does nothing. Someone always ends up sitting at the table like a two-year-old because they didn't get their way. And without fail they always think they can present the project with you in front of the class.

Your partners may put all of the workload on you or they could possibly take a majority of it. Which seems like a nice gesture, but it is your grade as well. If that one person messes up, you have to live with that grade. This goes for any situation. Whether it was your choice to bail on the group or you were told to "not worry" about it.

Even though group projects can teach how to work with others for a career it also teaches how not to be. It can teach us how to communicate with people for a future job. And if you're going to be a teacher, you have probably said; "I'm never going to give group projects." In hindsight, there is a chance a group project will have to be done.

If we were to give students a choice on whether or not they want to work in a group, I think students have the chance of doing a better job and being less stressed.

They know from the start what they are taking on, so there is no one to be mad at. Even though being a group has its perks, such as getting more ideas, that's usually it.

If you get stuck with buying all of the supplies, doing all of the work, and losing sleep for weeks on end, I'm sorry. You are not alone in your frustration, trust me. Talk to your professor. Try to figure out a way to get your partner(s) to do some work. Do not put it all on your shoulders. If you have to grade your partner, be honest.

If you're the kid who never does anything in a group project, get it together.

Your mom won't be there to do your big-kid job in the future. Your colleagues won't pick up your slack. And if you even have an employer, you probably won't receive the paycheck you want. If you get to grade yourself, do NOT give yourself an A for sitting on your bed.