14 Reasons Why Finals Week Is The Bane Of A Student's Existence, As Told By 'Grey's Anatomy'

You can either be the victor, or the victim.

231

The school curriculum today and ever increasing expectations of society today have changed school from a learning environment to a frenzy match to be the victor: win the title of valedictorian, be the class president or the teacher's favorite. Whatever it may be, what every student dreads is "finals season," or also coined, "finals week" where students throw out their sleeping regimes in replacement for more hours to write, prepare and study before the big exams that could make or break your grade. An entire year's worth of material is shoved into one timed test, how well you do correlates to how prepared you are; a time that levels the play field for all students.

For some, cramming and heavy studying is their tactic, while for others, procrastinating is inevitable and end up falling into the deep void of Netflix. One trap (and also my favorite) is "Grey's Anatomy" because it's incredibly well written, and also highly relatable. In honor of it, here are 13 GIFs from "Grey's Anatomy" that perfectly describe every students least favorite time of year.

1. Meeting up with your study group and realizing you're all about to fail.

As fun as the year may have been playing around in class with your best friends, seeing how much you've forgotten and missed when you weren't paying attention bites you in the end.

2. The very sound of your teacher's voice reminding you to study now begins to bring you physical pain.

My teacher's favorite motto: "It's my job to teach you the material, it's your job to remember it!"

3. Choosing to finally begin to study and forgetting to do important tasks such as any self-care.

Sleep? What's dinner? When studying hits us hard, losing track of time and needs becomes pretty simple.

4. Until finally giving in and finding your phone, where you waste time on social media or watching Netflix

We're all human, and we make mistakes — one being deciding to watch one more season of our favorite TV show before we get back to studying.

5. And after having a great time procrastinating, you realize how much work you have to make up for it as a result.

Funnily, after every time we procrastinate, we seem to regret it all.

6. Stress eating. It's real.

Finally when we decide to stray away from our desk, the hunger finally hits us, and we end up carrying, if not already consuming, the fridge in the kitchen.

7. Having to pull all-nighters back to back in order to cram the nights before the exam.

This is a really common problem that most students face, maybe once or twice in a given school week, but almost everyday for finals week. Back-to-back hours of staying awake gives more hours in a day to keep reviewing and studying for the final. Sure, we're zombies walking, but at least our grades are OK.

8. Finally, when the day the exam rolls around, you finally realize how unprepared you are in comparison to others.

Everyone can relate to seeing the "Dreadful Huddle," where students will talk and quiz each other before an exam, and every question you overhear, they answer both swiftly and correctly. How? You don't know.

9. Having that moment where you look around to see if you're the only person who is stuck on the first question

It's the second moment of realization for students that we were over our heads for choosing the course and how truly unprepared we were.

10. Your anxiety doubling each time the proctor reminds you how much time you have left

The proctors of finals week and AP exams are truly the most terrifying and powerful beings. How well you pace yourself and quickly you go is all up to how often they decide to remind you of what the time is, as most exam rooms have no clock. Having to fill out rows of blank questions in a matter of a few minutes should truly be an Olympic sport.

11. Meeting up with people after and hearing them brag about how easy they found it

"The Huddle," part two: where the same group of people begin to brag about what questions they thought were going to be on it and how "easy" the ones that were on it were.

12. Feeling that joyous moment and sigh of relief where it sinks in that finals week is finally over

This marks the point of summer beginning, partying and finally being able to see your friends after studying and stressing for weeks about your final grade. It's a sentence you've finally been released from.

13. And in celebration, treating yourself and forgetting about taking the exams entirely

A student's personal favorite: repressing all memories of the exams taken and potential questions you may have missed in celebration that you've finished! All of our brain power was drained, leaving most of our celebration in form of sleeping the week off.

14. That is, until being forced to view your final grade

But in repressing our preformace, we are sadly soon reminded when coming face to face with how we actually did, which is almost always worse than we had expected.

Happy studying!