Greeks Of The Week: Cullen Duke and Brandon Samples

36

Duke and Samples have some exciting summer plans ahead of them.

From Lee’s Summit, Missouri, Cullen Duke came to Oklahoma State University to be a part of the amazing engineering program. Duke is a sophomore and member of Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji). He has spent his time in college, so far, focused and determined to reach his goal of becoming an engineer.

This summer, Duke has received the opportunity to intern for ExxonMobil in Fairfax, Va. (a suburb of Washington, D.C.). He will be working in their Fuels and Lubricants division. This will be an amazing opportunity to meet new people who have the same goal as he. 

“There are a few people that I know that will be working as full time hires,” Duke said, “but there isn’t anybody that I know working as an intern with me.”

Duke went through a process in order to have this opportunity. He met recruiters for the company as he was working on the CEAT Career Fair. Duke was able to get a foot in the door of the recruitment process through that. After that, he went through a series of interviews.

Duke will be there the entire summer, starting May 17 and ending August 8, and is looking forward to the challenging summer. 

“I am looking forward to a new and challenging work environment and the experience that comes from working for such a well-known and respected company,” he said. “The pay is also pretty exciting.”

Although it may be a challenging summer for Duke, it will definitely help in the long run with whatever he does after graduation. “I would certainly be interested in working for ExxonMobil in the future, but I would like to keep my options open and explore other uses of my engineering degree.”

This is Duke's first internship and he will be experiencing many new things, from the environment he is in to the people he will be around. 

“As this is my first internship, I’m slightly nervous about assimilating into this very structured corporate setting and the fact that I will be among the youngest of the interns is a little nerve-wracking.” Duke said.

Overall, Duke is excited to have the experience of working on the corporate side of an oil and natural gas company. “It will be a huge benefit to me in whatever career area of this industry my career path takes me,” he said.

Duke has also spent his time getting involved while being at OSU. Next year, he will serve as Fiji’s pledge educator. He also served as the CEAT Career Fair Coordinator, SGA’s Assistant Treasure and is part of CEAT student council.

From Edmond to Stillwater and, now, to India... This summer, Brandon Samples, Phi Delta Theta, will be traveling to Bangalore, India for seven weeks.

Samples is going to Bangalore for a Cultural Exchange trip. While there, he will have the opportunity to learn about Indian cultures and lifestyles. He will also have the opportunity to teach people about Jesus who have never had an opportunity to hear who he is.

Samples got involved with this program after going to a summer program called Kaleo. “There, they taught me about the need for people willing to go to India, so that it would be possible for them to hear and, possibly, accept Jesus as their one and only God,” he said.

He won't be traveling across the big pond by himself. Samples will go with students from Oklahoma State and Tulsa University. “We all are already really close,” Samples said. “so it should be a great experience getting to live in a completely different place with friends that I have known throughout college.”

While in Bangalore, the group will be living in a small flat, or apartment, downtown near college campuses and local hangouts. They will spend time building relationships with the college-aged Indians. “I will be learning about Indian culture, making relationships with the Hindu people, there, and telling them how Jesus has changed my life and how he can change theirs.”

This will be quite the adventure for Samples. “I never would have imagined that I would have such a great opportunity to see what else is out there in the world before leaving college. I am also excited just to see how different the culture is and the differences between the United States and there.”

Samples is a bit nervous about the food. “I am a seriously picky eater and the thought of eating at outdoor food markets with my bare hands makes me feel kind of queasy," he said. “And, also, just not having the luxuries that I’m used to having here.”

Overall, Brandon said he is excited about his summer plans and the opportunity to expand his thinking.