UT Greeks Need to Sort Out Their Relationship With the City

2

Since the announcement last fall from city officials that the city would be cracking down on even ordinance violations, especially relating to sound and permitting, the response from the Greek community has been mixed. While there were strong efforts at first to combat the issue, actually leading to a city council effort to evaluate the problem, they largely died out within roughly a month, fizzling out the city council effort along with them and putting Greeks at the mercy of the city.

Since the announcement, many in the Greek community have been unsure of what has actually changed in terms of city enforcement. City officials report no noticeable spike in the number of tickets being given out; however, anecdotally, some say their parties are being shut down more often, a statistic the city doesn't track.

If it wasn't clear before, this year's Roundup should make the case obvious for UT Greeks that there is an issue with their relationship with the city and that they should get back on track with the efforts to amend it. The Austin Public Assembly Code Enforcement (PACE) team reports that 68 tickets were issued for minor in possession and two noise ordinance violation tickets were given out this past Roundup, with officers choosing to shut down three major parties, mainly for capacity issues. Many of us know the story of one fraternity whose party was shut down shortly before its headliner was about to go on, prompting a fury on Yik Yak and no doubt wasted efforts and funds.

The dialogue that was started last fall between Greeks and city officials needs to continue to prevent issues like this from happening in the future, at least to this degree. The city council has passed a resolution saying that it is willing to reevaluate its policies around events, calling for public dialogues between members of the Greek community and other players, like neighborhood associations.

UT Greeks have a chance to finally get on the same page as the city with their events, preventing major future issues with them. The current situation disfavors Greeks, so without their advocacy, this effort isn't going to move forward. This a huge opportunity for UT Greeks, and they should take advantage of it to finally make city policy something that's fair for all parties involved.