Greek Life Does Not Define You

Greek Life Does Not Define You

Do Not Forget That
3259

Greek life is oftentimes misinterpreted, disliked or loved, and one of the biggest aspects of college campuses. Greek life indeed brings friendships that will last forever, philanthropies that are heartwarming, and activities that will always keep you busy, but it also oftentimes poses barriers.

Greek life consists of fraternities and sororities. These fraternities and sororities are broken up based on houses named after the Greek alphabet. Each sorority tends to carry a stereotype for the type of girl who joins and also attracts different types of people based on various aspects.

Sororities are a great way to acclimate to college, become involved, and meet great friends, but based on experience, they are also a great way to distance friendships.

Greek life allows people to form closer bonds with people in their pertaining houses and thus, friendships amongst people within different houses can disperse unless great action is taken to keep in touch.

I am here to say that Greek life should not separate friendships amongst different houses, and it is not greek life in which initiates that, it is the people who partake in Greek life.

It is imperative to remain friends with those whom you were friends with before the sorority aspect came into your life. Yes, sororities provide an AMAZING opportunity to connect with others similar to you and with similar values, but that does not mean you should lose touch with previous friends.

It should be understood that friendships should not be based on labels, such as a sorority. Friendships should be based on the true enjoyment of hanging out with someone.

So as you go through rush, just remember to keep your other friends in your life who are either not a part of greek life or end up in a different house; they do not deserve to be forgotten.

Greek life does not define you - do not forget that.