Let Me Re-Define Greek Life For You

Let Me Re-Define Greek Life For You

All these stats and you still don't believe in the frats..

239
Let Me Re-Define Greek Life For You
Paige Roadruck

Being a sorority girl comes along with a lot of stereotypes and preconceived notions. From the outside of Greek life looking in, you can’t understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can’t fully explain it. When I went to create this article on what it means to be a part of Greek life, I set out not only to address those stereotypes but to destroy them.

Let’s go back to fall of 2016 for a moment. I was a college freshman who was trying to find my place at my University. The only thing scarier about freshman year is facing it alone. “Rush,” or sorority recruitment, was the big talk around campus. However, I was a bit reluctant to sign up myself. I knew very little about Greek life coming into college. Everything I knew about Greek life was solely based on Seth Rogen and Zac Efron’s role in Neighbors. AKA wrong, in so many ways. Eventually, though, I gave in. And I thank God every day that I did.

So, let’s talk about these stereotypes that society portrays about me, being that I am a sorority girl.

We pay for our friends.

This one is my personal favorite. If I am paying for my friends, then I am not paying enough. They are worth a million bucks + tax. I would be willing to bet that any organization will require you to pay fees. Yes, sororities/fraternities aren't free, but the money is spent wisely. Billions of dollars are raised each year by Greek communities that go towards philanthropies or other charities. Any money we gain from the events we host go directly to the charity, not into our pockets. Even if this myth were true, it would be worth every penny to be a part of something bigger than myself.

All we do is party, party, and party again.

If you were hoping to join Greek life in order to attend more parties than you do classes, you are sadly mistaken. With the social aspect of Greek life, comes a lot of responsibilities. There are high set expectations from your chapter, campus, and community that you are expected to fulfill. Not to mention, nobodyis going to make you go out and party. If you want to go out, you do. If you don’t, you don’t.

We only like the people within our own chapter.

I can’t help but laugh at this. If I said my only friends were girls within my chapter, I would be lying. Just as I would be if I said that my sorority sisters don’t let me hang out with girls outside of our chapter. Even though I spend most of my time with my sisters, some of my best friends are girls in other chapters or organizations. Being apart of Greek life has given me the opportunity to meet so many people in and outside of my own chapter. Due to contrary belief, we are not a clique.

We are dumb, or unmotivated.

If Greek life has done anythingfor me, it has certainly helped my grades. Each chapter has a set GPA that you must meet in order to remain in good standing. Once you are on probation, there are consequences. There are study hours held between chapters that expect their members to attend. Plus, there is a great chance that somebody else in your house has already taken a course, or is in the same major as you, that is always down to help you study!!

You can’t join until you’re hazed.

I get it. I was worried about going Greek for the same exact reason. These stories seem to be the only ones that make the news about Greek life. Hazing is illegal. There are more organizations that have joined the anti-hazing campaign than not. A majority of organizations have contracts that clearly state there is no hazing allowed. If there is any suspicion of hazing, the chapter will be revoked by their nationals. I had absolutely no suspicion of being hazed. We aren’t, “the plastics” from Mean Girls. We don’t have to wear pink on Wednesday’s, there is not a Regina George in the chapter telling you who to be, or what you can or cannot do. Each member of the chapter is valued.

So.. If you are thinking about going Greek at your own campus, I really hope that you decide to leave your legacy and to go Greek. And I really hope that your experience is just as amazing as mine has been. If it weren’t for Greek life, I wouldn’t be half the person I stand to be today.