Here's Some Great Entertainment for the IT Nerd

7
TechRadar

So it happens. You or your IT friend got one of the newest phones on the market, meaning y'all won't able to part from your newest device. But what happens you guys run out of things to do? Have no fear, more entertainment is here!

Music

Anonymous

Believe it or not, Dirtyphonics has created an EDM mix of quotes from the hacktivist group, Anonymous. Whether your IT nerd is an EDM fanatic (listening to this song is like being on Pre-workout) or sympathize with some of Anonymous’ core values, this is certainly something to introduce to your IT friend.

Exit (feat. Edward Snowden)

Every IT nerd knows Edward Snowden, the NSA whistleblower who leaked thousands of classified documents, exposing mass surveillance to the world. In Exit, Jean-Michel Jarre has created an EDM mashup of Mr. Snowden’s quotes over the years.

Shows

Mr. Robot (USA Network)

Already through its second-season, Mr. Robot is the tech show for every tech enthusiast! A Science-fiction drama, Mr. Robot tells the story of a young, cyber-security engineer in New York who does good by day and evil by night. Unlike many “tech” shows, Mr. Robot uses tools currently available in the real-world hacker culture and exposes many different vulnerabilities to the show’s audience. Rated 97% by Rotten Tomatoes, Mr. Robot is available to watch on USA Network, Amazon Prime Video, or iTunes.

Silicon Valley (HBO)

Has your IT friend ever mentioned living in Silicon Valley? Yup. There is a reason for that. The Bay Area in California is ground zero for technological innovation. Home to some of the world’s top tech companies, one can only imagine what the environment is like out there. Silicon Valley, which just finished their third season, is a fictional comedy about the real-life ups and downs (mostly downs) faced by startups in Silicon Valley. Rated 98% by Rotten Tomatoes, Silicon Valley is available to watch on HBO GO or iTunes.

Small Empires (YouTube)

A personal favorite of mine, Small Empires is a series by The Verge, which showcases small startups which have now gone big. Although the show did get canceled a couple of years back, it is still amazing to watch. The stories and struggles of tech companies coupled with the New York atmosphere just bring me down to my knees (it is obvious, I love New York). Rated 7.9 by IMDb, Small Empires is available to watch on The Verge’s YouTube channel.

Apps

Tech Today (Free, iOS)

Created by news site, CNET, Tech Today covers ten of the top tech news topics that matter today. Refreshed daily, this app is great for staying up-to-date on many of the top news stories. When you’re in the tech zeitgeist, you understand the importance of staying up to date.

MacHash (Free, iOS)

If you or your IT friend wants to follow everything Apple, this is the app to get! Refreshed every couple of minutes, MacHash is a news aggregator from some of the top Apple news sites (9to5Mac, AppleInsider, MacRumors, Ars Technica).

Google Cardboard (Free, Android & iOS)

Not everyone owns an expensive virtual reality headset. Have no fear, Google Cardboard is here! Cardboard allows you to use your iPhone or Android device to dive into the world of virtual reality. Of course, you’ll need a cardboard VR headset from Google (which will run you a few bucks because it really is just a small cardboard box). Just open the app, place your phone in the box, and prepare to enter the world of 360-degree video.