Grandparents are a Blessing

8 Reasons why Grandparents are the grandest blessing

With a greater age comes greater wisdom, and if you're lucky, you have grandparents to impart it to you.

1512
Arsula Parekh

No matter what you call them: grandma, grandpa, nani, nana, abuela, abuelo, their meaning and importance is universal all over the globe. They're your parents' parents, which means that they not only saw you grow up, but also saw the people who raised you. Their wisdom is timeless and their love is unmatched, so here are some reasons you should take the time to appreciate them.

1. They teach you

Before you were guiding them around a department store, helping them look for something ridiculously specific, they were teaching you the most important things, namely, how to walk, talk, and how to talk your parents into giving you something you want. Even now that you've grown up, it's rare that your grandma won't impart wisdom about the best news network or that your grandpa won't inform you of the best way to bundle up went its seventy degrees outside.

There are some things that others could teach you, but it wouldn't be quite the same without your grandparents.

2. They guide you

Your grandparents will always help you make the toughest decisions in life, whether it be about where to go to college, what route to take to a nearby city, or what fast food to pick up on the way home from work. They always have your best wishes at heart, and want to see you succeed. You might think you're "too old" for them, but they've known you since you were the size of a thumb, and are always there whenever you need them.

3. They keep you grounded

You might think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread. You might start getting a big head with an air of arrogance about you. Not to worry, for your grandparents will surely remind you about all dumb things you did when you were barely old enough to go to school. They might not remember where they put their glasses, but you can bet they remember about the time the sound of the lawn mowers scared you senseless.

4. They increase your patience

There's nothing quite like teaching your grandparents how to use technology. You've lost count of how many times they've butt dialed you because they don't remember how to lock their phone, or when they freak out over an amber alert concerning a stolen car. It gets tedious, but it gives you a level of patience you never thought you could have. Besides, this is the least you could do after all they've done for you.

5. They make you laugh

Their jokes may be severely outdated, but their tendency to cackle at them makes up for it, because you know their laugh is funnier than the joke itself. Besides, if your grandparents don't roast you from time to time, who will?

6. They have your back

They had your back then, and they have it now. There's no amount of words in the world to express how much you appreciate them for it.

7. They always come through

Hungry? Sleepy? Need money? Want your parents to stop getting mad at you? Your grandparents will always come through with some form of escape. Sometimes, if you're lucky, they'll back you up in front of your parents just because you're their spoiled grandchild, and because they can.

8. They love you like no one else

There's nothing that can match a grandparent's love. We can only hope to reciprocate in the same way.