Grand Canyon University In A Nutshell

Grand Canyon University In A Nutshell

Life as a GCU student.

1458
Grand Canyon University In A Nutshell
GRAND-CANYON-UNIVERSITY

Whether you're returning to campus or are just starting to embark on your journey at GCU, here are a few things that you'll learn to love/hate about this glorious institution.

1. Eating Times

As the year kicks off, it's important to create a schedule that you'll become accustomed to. Part of a balanced college life is making sure you're eating properly throughout the day. The tough part is beating the lines. Luckily, GCU has cheat sheets posted around campus to help show you when rush hour will be and when the lines will be the shortest. (Never plan to go out to eat around Chapel time on Mondays unless you are willing to wait in line for 30 minutes for an eight piece nugget meal at Chik-Fil-A).

2. Friendly & Approachable Professors

The professors here at GCU are pretty rad. They actually hang out around campus and interact with students after their lectures (Whaaaaat?). So please, please, please utilize office hours. Not only does this give you extra help outside of the classroom, but it also connects you with your instructors. This shows them that you care and are willing to get help when you need it. College is all about stepping out of your comfort zone, and this is the perfect way to do it. (This is coming from someone who was too afraid to make eye contact with her professor the first time she ever went to office hours. Do it. You won't regret it).

3. Beware Of Longboards

Whether you're the one riding the board or are an innocent by stander going to and from class on foot, beware of these transportation devices. Especially since a majority of classes are released around the same time, the walkways will become packed with students and professors trying to maneuver their way across campus.

4. Construction Never Ends

Even on Sundays, the day of the Sabbath, there's some banging going on somewhere around campus. Although annoying at first, you'll grow accustomed to the sound. But hey, look on the bright side, you'll never need to set an alarm again! These construction crews have your back and will get you up before your first class. Guaranteed.

5. Basketball Games/School Events

Grand Canyon University doesn't have a football team. So what do we tailgate and hype ourselves up for? That's right. Basketball. If you ever feel like you're lacking school spirit, just spend sometime with the Havocs at a game. They'll get you bleeding purple and black in no time.

6. Random Acts Of Kindness

If a stranger walks up to you and hugs you, embrace it. They're either in the mood to spread some love, or are doing it for a class project. Everyone here at GCU is extremely friendly, so being greeted by a kind stranger won't seem so strange after a while.

7. Fire Alarms Are Unavoidable

Get used to them, because they're inevitable. If you're ever curious what it is like to experience a fire alarm in action, chill in Acacia Hall's lobby for a few hours. I guarantee you'll leave satisfied.

8. Hipsters Galore

Afraid of sticking out like a sore thumb on campus with your clothing choices? Worry not! Grand Canyon University is a melting pot for fashion and design. It's nearly impossible to walk across campus without seeing someone rock a flannel and a beanie, so go ahead and go for it! Whether it's pajamas on a Monday or wearing all black in the middle of hundred degree weather, all style choices are welcomed here on this diverse campus. Never be afraid to take some risks!

9. Welcome Week Will Make Or Break You

I guarantee this will be a significant week in your young adult life. Just know that if you're an incoming freshman, feeling overwhelmed is normal. There's going to be people screaming your name from the sidewalks and hauling your luggage to your dorm, but that's all part of the experience.

10. We Live In Satan's Armpit.

It is hot here. Like, EXTREMELY hot. Yes, we will be in eighty degree weather by February. Yes, you can wear running shorts and a tank top in the middle of December. So just know that the pools spread across campus will be utilized throughout the entire school year.

11. Get Used To Wearing Purple

No matter where you are on campus, you'll easily see someone reppin' either purple, black or white with our school's logo on it. GCU has an abundance of school spirit, so don't be afraid to take part in the action! (Ever in need of a GCU shirt? Walk around campus on any given day, and there will be a plentitude of students stationed around campus handing these bad boys out like candy).

12. None Of Us Know What We're Doing

You'll see someone asleep in Thunder Alley. You'll someone eating Subway, Qdoba and Panda Express - all in one sitting. You'll see someone booking it to their 7 a.m. Hey, you may even see someone in the middle of an existential crisis (most likely spotted during finals week). We're all fumbling along trying to survive the school year, so never feel like you're alone, because I guarantee everyone feels just as lost as you do!