15 Graduation Presents That Every High School Graduate Will *Actually Use* In College

Don't waste your money on random graduation gifts.

2637
pascoschools / Flickr

High school graduation is coming up and I cannot believe I graduated high school two years ago...crazy.

Receiving gifts was honestly the best part of graduating. Getting people gifts can be hard because you want to give them something they will actually use. I know I had a pile of gifts I brought to college with me and another pile of gifts I had no idea what to do with. Let me help you pick the perfect gift that will actually be put to use.

Here are 15 gifts that new college students will actually use.

1. Towels

This might sound weird, but I love the towels I got for graduation. I still use them. Doing laundry in a dorm was such a pain, so I loved that I had a lot of towels to push back the laundry date. I always had a clean one. For girls, I would go with a cute monogram towel. Don't go overboard on the monogram gifts...towels are enough. For a boy, stick with a plain color. Boys don't care and will ruin/lose the towel by the end of the year anyway. Target has towels that are reasonably priced and are really comfy that could be used for girls or boys.

2. Alex and Ani University Charm Bangle

I love Alex and Ani charm bracelets because they are so cute and easy to throw on for any occasion. I got a few different bangles for graduation and LOVE them. They have over 32 universities to choose from as well as silver or gold. You could even give a bangle with the recipients initial or a cute charm.

3. Money

Visa gift cards might seem like a lame gift to give, but they really help the student. I used my gift cards for all the random stuff I didn't realize I would now have to pay for such as cleaning supplies or dinner. You don't realize how expensive daily life can be until you have to reach into your own pocket. Regular ole cash is also a perfect substitute for a gift card.

4. Picture Frame

Picture frames can be found anywhere, but Etsy has really cute custom frames. I loved having pictures all over my dorm. It helped me not be homesick. Picture frames can be kept for a long time. I have picture frames in my apartment that were from high school graduation. Your graduate will definitely cherish this gift.

5. Blankets

Blankets can be overlooked as gift ideas, but are a perfect go-to. I would stick to neutrals or the grad's dorm room color scheme if you know it. You could put the grad's name or college on the blanket.

6. Socks

These bad boys are Notes to Self socks. I got two or three pairs for graduation and I love them. They are so comfy and fun to look at. There are tons of options to choose from and are perfect to add to any gift.

7. Tool Box

I have this exact toolbox and it rocks. I had to buy it for myself, but I wish I got it for a grad gift. This box is perfect for moving into a dorm (you never realize you need tools until you get there) and the grad can keep this toolkit for years to come.

8. College Bible Study

LifeWay has a ton of awesome college Bible studies. College can be a difficult transition and many can grow further from God during this time. I encourage you to choose a study you think will best fit your graduate. This is definitely the most important gift you could give.

9. Laundry Bag

THIS GIFT!!! Such a good gift. Wow. I got two laundry bags and I still use them. This bag is perfect because it has a strap. Carrying laundry in a bag is so much easier than a basket. Your grad will be super thankful for you every time they do their laundry with ease.

10. Quarters

Going off of the laundry bag theme, a jar of quarters. Laundry gets expensive and saving quarters can be a pain. My roommate and I scraped our drawers for quarters when laundry day came. This gift is perfect for keeping all their quarters together and is super easy to put together. You could even add laundry supplies to this gift and make a laundry themed basket. Seems lame, but I promise it will be very appreciated.

11. Coffee Mug

If your grad doesn't drink coffee now, they absolutely will after freshman year. Cute coffee mugs make studying a little less dreadful. You could even opt for a mug with their university logo.

12. Weekender Bag

One more time a monogram is acceptable. Weekender bags are timeless and come in handy while in college. Sleeping over at a friends dorm or weekend trips call for a smaller travel bag. Neutral colors are typically safe and the grad won't outgrow your gift.

13. Custom Yeti Cup

Such an amazing gift to receive. Yeti has a custom shop where you can choose from all sorts of cups and colors. You can add monograms, universities, or your own text. Your grad can use this gift throughout the summer and into college. I use my Yeti cups all the time and they are super durable.

14. First Aid Kit

I remember I cut my knee shaving freshman year and I really needed a Band-Aid. I didn't have one. I never thought I would need to buy Band-Aids because they were always in my downstairs closet at home. This kit is really cute and compact so it will not take up much room. I have this kit and love it!

15. Sleep Kit

Sleeping in a small room with a random person can be strange. Bath and Body Works pillow spray is perfect for helping the grad get much-needed sleep. A face mask and ear plugs can help drown out the noisy roommate.

Choose one or all of the above gift ideas and your grad will be set to take on college. This time is so fun for the grad and you should have fun buying the gifts too!