Graduation Isn't the End of the World

Graduation Isn't the End of the World

9
Graduation Isn't the End of the World

It’s a surreal feeling. Graduation is a mere 9 weeks for my fraternity brothers and I. Where did the time go? What will happen? Where will we end up? These are all questions that we don’t necessarily know the answer to at this point, but we’ll know soon.

The number one thing I can’t stand is when people complain about graduating college, as if that wasn’t the point for you going to school anyway. It’s an extremely joyous time, and one that should be celebrated, not dreaded.

Of course some things are bound to change, but several of them are positive things.

For one, you’ll have more money. The $120 bar tab you had two weekends ago? With a job that isn’t a big deal. You just pay it and move on. In college, that would stagger your bank account and have you eating ramen for a solid week.  Remember all the designer clothes you wanted but could never afford in college? You now can go shopping, buy groceries that aren’t completely frozen, and afford your electric bill without calling mom and dad. Graduation = more money. Now all you need is that job.

Another thing to think about is getting a job. For those of you who aren’t graduating, the golden rule of college is internships are key. They are what separate you from everyone else and show your potential employer that you are distinguishable, trained, and have experience in the field already. Get as many as you can, and even if you work a non-paid internship (they suck, I did one) it’s better than nothing.

Keep in mind the option of graduate school. However, whatever you do don’t go to prolong getting a job. If you don’t know what you want to do going into grad school, you’ll end up in a ton of debt with an extra useless degree. Check the worth of going to grad school, and if it isn’t worth it, don’t sweat it. You can always go back in your late 20’s.

Of course with graduating comes a new set of responsibilities, both good and bad. Can you not go out on a Tuesday night anymore? Probably not, although no one is stopping you from going. It’s entirely up to you on how much you transition into being a “real person” as a postgraduate. If you still want to party and go out, you definitely can, although it’s frowned upon.

Was college the best four years of your life? No. They were four great years. The best is simply what you choose them to be. No one likes a negative Nancy, and if you truly believe you won’t be happier after college then simply don’t leave. I’m so sick of having to deal with “life will be so different” or “you only have 9 weeks of fun left” as if life is some kind of grinder I’m about ready to be thrown into.

Life (similar to college) is what you make of it. Have a positive perspective; keep an eye out for opportunities after college, and don’t be so damn negative and you’ll be fine.

Now if you need me, I’ll be at happy hour.