To My Graduating Friends

To My Graduating Friends

Life is changing before our eyes.

4
Christine Zopf

It's hard to believe that in a few short days some of my closest friends will be walking across the stage receiving their college degree. It seems like only yesterday we met, and now, so soon, we are already saying goodbye. We may not have met my freshman year, we may not have spent every night hanging out in each other's dorm rooms, but we've shared so many special moments, shared so many laughs, and most of all, have shared in bringing out the best in each other. You have always pushed me to do my best, to seize the opportunities that come my way, and to believe in myself. And when I couldn't believe in myself, you believed in me.

Now it's my turn to believe wholeheartedly in you. As your life begins to change at a rapid pace, know that I am always there, a constant factor, unwavering in love, support, and friendship. Growing up is scary, graduating college is scary, and once you step onto that stage, your life will change as quickly as it takes you to walk from one side to the other. One moment you are a college student, so unsure, attempting to navigate your way into the future. The next you are an alumni, your degree a physical representation of the skills and knowledge you possess after four years of learning and dedication.

It’s hard to believe how quickly time passes. I can still pinpoint the moments we met and became friends. I remember all of the laughter and the late nights, the bad grades and the bad break-ups. The uncertainty about the future, and celebrating the small milestones that make our friendship so special. Campus won't be the same without you. Meals will be a little lonelier. Work will seem more monotonous. Everything is going to change, maybe not for everyone, but for me, and for us.

In a few short days, you will be a college graduate. I wish you all the best. I hope that you hold your degree proudly, because you have earned it, and I hope that you go out into the world and leave it a little better than you found it. I know you can do this because I know how brightly you shine, and how much you have impacted my life. Congratulations and I love you dearly.