Tips for Grad School

5 Tips for Starting Graduate School

A Masters degree is a vital step on the journey to a career for many professions- here are some tips on how to make your first week of graduate school perfect.

31

A Masters degree is required for many careers and professions in the world today. There are many paths to a M.A or M.S and each program is different, the advice I would have for a M.A would be different from a M.S but I hope these tips will prove themselves helpful as you embark on your journey to graduate school.

Talk to the Professors

I cannot stress the vital importance of this one enough! Professors hold a wealth of knowledge about their field of study, and when you talk to them about the subjects they are passionate about they will open up and teach you things you never would have learned otherwise. Do not be afraid to go up and talk to your professors after class, they can help you if you are ever struggling easier because they will be familiar with your interests already.

Read Beforehand!

I noticed it helped when I did the reading beforehand. Some of the reading may require additional background reading which will take up time as well but will be perfect to enrich your knowledge of the subject and the area you are researching. Reading a speech by a Thai king and he makes religious references? Go ahead and read about the religion of Thailand because now you have more time to do it.

Organize Your Stuff

There are few felicities in life as wonderful as a space where you feel comfortable- make sure your space is study ready before your studies commence!

Read Extra Stuff

Find out all you can in the labyrinths of knowledge- seek answers to all and read about what is new. Trust me this will come in handy for step 5.

Narrow Down Thesis

Now that you've done your extra reading you may have a general idea on what you want your thesis to be. Start your research early, bounce ideas off of professors and see what works best for you. Your thesis is going to take up alot of time, so make sure it represents you and what makes you passionate to research.

Alas my dear readers these are the most general tips I can think of. I wish you luck and success on your path ahead as you commence your studies!