I Started Actually Getting Ready In The Morning And This Is What I Learned

"I don't think girls, including myself, need makeup to be beautiful. I just learned that I feel more confident when I do."

71

Those who know me, know that I wear pretty much the same thing every day.

Leggings and a sweatshirt in winter and Nike shorts and a t-shirt in warmer months are my go-to. I love makeup and beauty, but I never really wear makeup day to day. I throw my hair up into a ponytail or a baseball cap and am usually ready to go. I tried stepping out of my comfort zone and decided to "put myself together" one day and I realized a lot.

I went to an all-girls, Catholic high-school where I wore a uniform every day. There was no pressure to look presentable because no one cared who did their hair that day, or wore makeup. There were no boys around to impress. This spoiled me as I went to college.

Everyone around me would spend an hour getting ready in the morning before class where I would roll out of bed, brush my teeth and put on my comfortable outfit and walk out the door for class. On special occasions, I would dress up of course, but never really day to day. A disclaimer: I don't think girls including myself need makeup to be beautiful, I just learned that I feel more confident when I do.

A few mornings ago I woke up in a funk. I didn't want to get out of bed, I didn't want to go to class, I didn't feel myself mentally or physically. I gathered the strength to get out of bed, put on my normal, comfortable ensemble, didn't even bother to brush my hair and went to my classes for the day feeling like an absolute zombie. I felt exactly how I looked, terrible.

The next day, I woke up in a similar melancholy mood. I decided that I wanted to do something to make myself feel better. I got up, put some makeup on, put on a nicer, but still comfortable outfit and went to class. I knew this must be very out of the ordinary for me because everyone asked me where I was going or why I looked so nice. I felt confident, I knew I looked good and it made me feel better.

The next morning I woke up a little earlier before my class and did the same thing, put on some makeup, fixed my hair and put on a cute outfit and I noticed an instant change on my mood. I was smiling and laughing more. I came out of my funk a little bit and overall felt more productive and ready to take on the day.

I am by no means making this an everyday habit, because some days I want to go makeup free and wear my leggings and oversized sweatshirt, but this definitely opened my eyes to the art of getting ready in the mornings.