GoPro, FitBit And The Downfall Of Simple Technology

Advancements in technology can be good, but for whom exactly?

223
Edwin J. Viera

In our society and with technology we are all about remaining modern. Whether it’s to get the latest version of something, the latest update, or the latest expansion; the idea of remaining modern is as crucial an element of society, though not as big as Game of Thrones.

However, this has also been the inherent downfall of some of the most elemental technology companies in our lives. For example, any of you that own a smart watch such as Apple’s iWatch, Samsung’s Gear Fit 2 Pro, and so many more, However, does anyone still use a FitBit?

FitBit was elemental in the development of smart watch technology, however, the just couldn’t keep up with the times. Their watches started out as telling the time, counting the number of steps, your heart rate how that number of steps translates into miles, etc. This was all their products did for a while until the idea of a smartwatch came to the forefront of wristwatch technology.

Since then FitBit stock and the company as a whole has never quite recovered. The stock price which reached an all time high at $47.60, then it went to freefall and has not been able to go over five dollars for quite some time. This, however, is not the only company that has been facing hard times due to advances in the field of technology.

GoPro, which has been at the forefront, literally, of filming certain death defying stunts, events and other things as they happen. However, that’s much of their profit. Much like someone selling ladders, they are a one trick pony.

The company has not exactly been in the best shape since with a dwindling stock price of $6.23 this company’s fortunes need a new idea or gimmick to really show just what they can do or face the prospect of bankruptcy. These companies were at the forefront of their fields and now they are not even worth mentioning.

One primary reason for this is that they were too slow in catching up with competitors. Sure, FitBit was designed to keep people healthy and make sure people had the accurate technology for that goal but at the same time, development was slow for them in developing their smartwatch.

With GoPro it’s quite a different story because they are already manufacturing cameras, editing equipment, and other items. But the standards of the film industry have been a cruel mistress to them as software like Adobe Premiere, iMovie, Avid, and Final Cut Pro have become the best for filmmakers to use.

One thing that people can learn from this is just how simple technology has met its match. No more are the days when people relied on several gadgets for several different functions and operations. Now people prefer the one and done deal that many companies provide. Sure, some companies make that one device that’s more like a swiss army knife than a device but we must consider what those additions are. Simple technology has helped to strengthen many elements of the technology industry and that is the case of companies like FitBit and GoPro. More often than not, company’s can make a remarkable comeback with one product, however it seems for GoPro and FitBit they may need a miracle.