Googles: How to Feel Pretty

I don’t trust Wiki.com, so I choose the oh-so-wise and worldly trusted, Oprah. Oprah.com is where I decide to begin my research. 

“11 Ways to feel beautiful” is what the headline said, plastered with a beautiful and seemingly happy woman kayaking. Kayaking is a happy thing that I think would make me feel pretty. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the fact that I'm putting the fate of my self-confidence in the hands of a search engine. But then I think about the numerous times a day I google anything and everything and realize I can't imagine it any other way. I have also come to this realization because I'm feeling kind of hopeless and it seems like this is a right step in a good direction. Plus, lists are good! I can learn from lists. Who doesn't like lists? Lists are the epitome at which we set our dream person at. I glance at the page and see the 11 steps I am to follow to feel pretty, which at this current moment is something I am strongly (definitely) considering. 

The carefully thought out steps are as follows:

1. Sit up straight: Currently not doing. This has been on my to-do list for the past three years, but it never happens for more than two minutes at a time. It's harder to maintain than it seems! However, when there's a will there is a way, and beauty is bigger and better than slouching. 

2.  Don’t judge anyone, especially yourself: First part is simple. Second part, not so much. Little kids don't judge. So, maybe I'll try being like a kid again in that aspect.

3. Focus on and appreciate things you like about yourself: Oh dear. This is a tough one for a lot of us. Starting small is all it takes, right? Well, I like my hair. In a couple days I'll appreciate something else. 

4. Smile: That is what the three years of braces are for! Self-conscious of my small teeth, I must remember that smiling is much flattering than pouting. No one likes a pouter. 

5. Breathe deeply: Like meditation breathing? Sure, why not. The breathing that takes thought and is felt throughout your entire body. 

6. Say “thank you” instead of deflecting compliments: I guarantee that you do this more than you think. Read your and friends of yours Instagram comments when people say how gorg you look. Most people negate the compliment. Stop that! 

7. Add a pop of color to your wardrobe: Nothing major, or maybe something major. It depends on how flamboyant you're feeling.   

8. Wear clothes that fit you comfortably and make you feel good: That old trick, "buy pants a size smaller so you'll lose weight to fit into them," yeah, not cool. In an era where skin-tight clothing is "in" (for who knows what reason) we lose our self-confidence and gain a normally not there muffin top.  

9. Eliminate comparing yourself to other people: This should never be a thing, but as human beings, it's natural. We do it. Especially when we go back to the primal age where we had to compete for mates (not much has changed really). This is really just self-confidence sabotage. You are you. You are never going to be Megan Fox (sorry). The less time we spend fretting on how much better other people are than ourselves, the more time we have to add to the things we appreciate about ourselves in step three. 

10. Be around people who feel good about themselves: Negative Nancy can be contagious and there's no vaccine for keeping her away from you. So either you very diligently learn how to tune her out so you don't catch what she has or you stay away. 

11. View yourself in a flattering light: Not the fitting rooms lights in Abercrombie, Forever 21, or Hollister. Why they have such unflattering light when they're supposed to be persuading us to purchase their clothes is beyond me. Usually selfies in the car have pretty flattering lighting, or natural light from mother sunshine.