What Makes A Good Television Show

What Makes A Good Television Show

Why your favorite show is your favorite.

860
What Makes A Good Television Show

Everyone has an all-time favorite show. Maybe "Grey's Anatomy" makes you cry every time or you could re-watch "One Tree Hill" in its 9 season entirety any weekend. There are a few things that make a television show great and these things are easy to come by.

1. A killer theme song

Pretty much everyone knows all the words to the "Friends" theme song and can rap "The Fresh Prince" all the way through. Why is this? Sure the shows are good, but the theme songs are so catchy. Watching a show all the way through can be exhausting, especially with an annoying jingle of a theme song. But you love your favorite show because the song that starts it off fits the show. The "Orange Is The New Black" theme song is quirky and creative and gets you hyped for 50 minutes of twists and turns. The "Full House" theme song and the "Pokemon" theme song are straight bangers. To this day, you can get a sing-a-long going with either of those songs without a problem, and along with that comes the memories of the T.V. show you love so much.

2. Good characters

It's one thing to watch a show and see yourself in one of the characters and it's another to wish you could be the character. Regardless, a huge key for a good show is wonderful, deep and intriguing characters. The writers and the actors combined make the characters relatable, and easy to root for and love. Sometimes, a character's struggles help you through your own, or the far out nature of the show make you eager to see what is next. Either way, the cast of characters play a huge role (no pun intended) in making the show a success.

3. Comedy and drama

A great show entertains and intrigues. It combines real life issues and extreme situations. The way a show can do this is by interweaving the drama with comedy. Having a dramatic cliffhanger and throwing in some witty one-liners can make for great television. The best shows combine all the factors we'd want in our lives: excitement, humor, and fun. Sometimes all the drama can be heavy, and an easy way to break it up is with some comic relief.

4. Quotable dialogue

A great way to tell if a person is a true fan of your favorite show is to reference your favorite quote. Another crucial element of television is a great script. There are certain lines from any show that stand the test of time and that is because they are clever and well-written. A true mark of a good show is the script and the delivery of the lines.

5. Plenty of excitement

A final piece in the puzzle for a great show is the show itself. A perfect show has twists and turns, new characters arriving and old characters returning to cause a stir. A show should give you everything you want and more, and surprise you with perfect endings and crazy plot twists. Television is something that everyone should enjoy and count on and this means watching a show that can provide all the emotions and excitement you need.