10 Tips On How To Be A Good Shopper On Black Friday
Black Friday

Every American is familiar with Black Friday, but almost none of those that participate do so with manners.

22

Black Friday, is appropriately named, it is a dark holiday that all retail workers despise. While it is great money for us we could do without any of the horrible customers. It can be hard sometimes having basic manners, so here are tips and tricks to keep you a good shopper and prevent any workers from strangling you.

1. Don't steal parking spots.

We all know everyone and their mothers are out on BF (cute abbreviation right) so we all can just assume parking will be horrendous. Now imagine how being a butthole and stealing a spot can really ruin other people's night. Everyone should just uber or park somewhere close by and walk. If you're one of those lucky people that have a friend, ask them to drop you off!

2. Walk through the mall don't run.

I feel like this should just go without saying, but the amount of people I see running around the mall and getting hurt is insane. As much as all the workers would love to see you fall or run into something, it just isn't safe and makes you look like this, but probably not as cool (did you see that somersault?!).

3. Don't be rude to other shoppers.

Unless you're standing up for an employee than that's really cool and we appreciate it. But usually yelling at another customer just gets them mad, us mad, other customers will take sides and they'll get mad and employees don't get paid to break up fights. That means we will probably video you getting beat up because we'll think it's funny.

4. Don't yell at employees.

We're trying our absolute hardest, well most of us. All retail employees have shopped before so we know some workers can be pains and useless but a lot of us are just kids trying to make some money. If you yell at an employee, you're probably a terrible person and none of this can help you. We know the lines are long and that it seems like we're being slow and unhelpful but we have a packed, more than likely understaffed store and we're doing the best we can.

5. Don't steal.

I know it's the best time to steal but please we get in trouble for it afterward. We definitely take into account that things will get lost forever but please even small stuff gets workers in trouble so just be decent for one day.

6. Don't have crazy requests.

If you ask for a few things or even a lot all at once that's ok but don't have us running all over our stores for an hour for you to not even buy everything. We'd rather help you than you look for something yourself, but please don't wear us thin because you don't know what your size is or what color you want.

7. Don't ask for any extra deals.

We're already doing all these huge promotions and overall losing money from you buying things. A lot of stores don't have any other promotion they're keeping from you. We aren't lying and you aren't special enough for us to lose our jobs over. YES, a lot of people can lose their jobs for doing extra discounts so don't bother us.

8. Take advantage of returns and exchanges.

If we don't have your size or color or anything superficial just buy the closest you can get and then return or exchange it later. A lot of stores have terrible return policies so definitely ask workers and see if it's something that can work for you. Doing this makes it so much easier for everyone, you get out of the store faster and we don't have to find everything in the world for you to just say no.

9. Keep in mind how long we've been working.

I personally will be working 20 hours from Thanksgiving to BF. 20 HOURS. My manager is working 19 STRAIGHT HOURS. That is the point where our only source of energy is coffee and energy drinks. We are probably loopy and trying just to survive the night. This goes back to number 4, please don't yell at us and be mean when we're already barely functioning.

10. Don't talk to workers.

We normally would love to have conversations with anyone besides our other coworkers, but not on BF. We are running around like chickens with our heads cut off and feel like we're close to death. We don't care about your visiting family and how hard it was for you to find parking and how bad lines are. We just don't have the energy to care.

So have a great Thanksgiving and keep in mind other people matter, and it isn't hard to be a good customer. Thank you in advance from every retail employee.