'Good Omens' Finally Set To Become A TV Series In 2018

After nearly 30 years of waiting, fans will get to see their favorite apocalyptic comedy on the screen.
10

For about 27 years, any and all attempts to turn Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's novel "Good Omens" into anything but a novel seemed to be cursed. Every few years or so a new rumor would surface about a movie or television series being made, only to be proven false or disappear after struggling to make it past the beginning stages. Though the book did manage to make it as a radio series in 2014, screen adaptions seemed to be doomed, as production of a movie and a TV show had wormed its way out of the hands of two members of Monty Python and was nearly left behind by Gaiman after Pratchett's death in 2015. Rumors of the novel's adaption began to fall away, especially as news surfaced of another of Neil Gaiman's novels, "American Gods," coming to Starz in the form of a TV series created by "Hannibal" showrunner, Bryan Fuller, and "Heroes" executive producer, Michael Green, premiering this April.

Despite all odds, though, Gaiman has been working on adapting the novel after receiving a posthumous letter from Pratchett in 2015, asking him to move forward with plans for a television series after his death, and this past friday, Amazon revealed that it would be partnering with BBC to turn "Good Omens" into a mini-series in 2018, with Neil Gaiman at the helm as showrunner and writer. The plans for this series have been set in motion for quite a while now, some of the first hints of which appeared via a tweet by Terry Pratchett back in 2013, reading, "Not discussing Good Omens TV with @neilhimself in the @GrouchoClubSoho. Nope. Not us," followed by a photo of Neil and himself at the Groucho Club in Soho. The novel, which follows an unfortunately inseparable angel and demon, the four horsemen of the apocalypse, a witch, a witchfinder, and an antichrist in the face of the accurately-predicted end of the world, will be crafted into six hour-long episodes set to premiere on Amazon Prime before moving to BBC. Once the news broke, Neil Gaiman reblogged the old photo of the pair on Tumblr, adding, "At that point, we were still looking for a writer. It would be six months before Terry told me that I had to do it and we decided that the writer had been found."

Seeing as the series will be written and created by half of the brilliant team that brought the novel into existence in the first place, I think it's safe to say the TV series will be worth the long wait. As Neil Gaiman said, "I can't think of anyone we'd rather make it with than BBC Studios, and I just wish Sir Terry were alive to see it."