Going To Prom With Friends

Prom Doesn't Require A Significant Other, You Can Have A Blast No Matter Who You Go With

I'll forever cherish the memories I made with my friends that night.

525

Going to my friend's pre-prom today made me reminisce to about a year back when I was getting ready for my own prom. And even though it was months ago, it feels like just yesterday that I was figuring out where our pre-prom would be, what dress I would wear, and whether my friends and I would be able to secure a beach house for our after-prom. It was weeks on weeks of planning and stressing.

The biggest worry, though, was the matter of finding a date. Most of my friends and I were single and had never been in a relationship, so when it came time for people to start asking each other to prom, we naturally began to worry. Who would we go with? What if no one asked us? Would it be weird if we went with someone random? And as more people began to pair up, our worries only elevated. I can't even begin to count the number of conversations in which my friends and I looked through possible dates and discussed who would be matched up with who.

It was like a game to us. We all had one common objective: finding a prom date. We factored in heights, personality compatibility, likeliness to say yes (this was a big one, considering that we were all scared to make the first move). We talked to friends of friends, scoping out who the eligible bachelors were. In the end, I went with a good guy friend who I had a few classes with over the course of high school. He asked me over text after I questioned him about who he was going with, and he prom-posed a month later with chicken nuggets and the word "PROM?" spelled out in ketchup.

We had a great time together, and not once during prom night did I worry about the fact that we weren't dating. In fact, I'm glad that I got to go with a friend and not a boyfriend or a crush. I let loose and relaxed for once, not worrying about what to say or how to act. And looking back at it now, I shouldn't have been so caught up with the idea of going with the perfect date. Date or no date, boyfriend or just friend, prom was about me and my peers. I had a blast with people that I cared about, some who I've known practically my whole life.

There may have been some mishaps and worries along the way, but it turned out okay in the end. And I know for sure that I'll forever cherish the memories I made with my friends that night.