Going to Graduate School Abroad

Going to Graduate School Abroad

Pros and Cons

5
Going to Graduate School Abroad
Wikicommons

While graduate school abroad is often said to be a way to specialize in a given field and increase earning power, opponents argue it can put students into debt without helping them get better jobs. More and more, students are turning to international universities and institutions as options for obtaining Masters and Doctorate degrees not only because of finances, but also the "studying abroad" experience. Studying in the U.S. is not your only option. Here are some pros and cons of going to grad school abroad:

Pros:

1. Specialized education

If your desired field of study is uncommon in the U.S., it might be beneficial to go abroad.

2. Career opportunities

If you want work abroad post-grad, going to graduate school provides an excellent opportunity for networking.

"In addition, some countries such as the United Kingdom offer Post-Study Work Visas upon completion of your graduate program, thus making it much easier to obtain employment and residency" according to idealist.org.

3. Cost

Grad school in Germany and Sweden are free. Other countries like Spain cost around $2,000 for a master's degree. Plus, the University of Barcelona ranks as the third best university in Ibero-America, and the University of Madrid isn't far behind.

Ecole Normale Superior de Paris is only 190 Euros a year according to the Matador Network.

4. Time

On average masters programs in the U.K. takes one year to complete compared to two years in the U.S.

Cons

1. Recognition

America is well-known to have some of the most prestigious business schools in the world, so having an MBA from a foreign institution may be less recognized.

2. Language and culture

Even when taking classes in English, keep in mind foreign accents and dialects from the United Kingdom and Australia could add an extra difficulty to your graduate studies, as other English-speaking countries have different words for different objects. Also, each country has its own culture that you would have to adjust to while taking classes for an advanced degree.

3. Different learning styles

Countries like Great Britain utilize different learning styles, such as less exams and more independent readings, which is uncommon in U.S. universities. Even the style of writing that is considered well-written may be contrary to what you have been taught in other countries.

Latin American and Asian countries teach students to write less directly.

4. Distance

People who are not used to being away from their family for long periods of time may want to reconsider going to grad school in a foreign country.