Going Through Recruitment as a Junior

Going Through Recruitment as a Junior

I found my home late, but I finally made it.

312
Going Through Recruitment as a Junior
UNCG Chi Omega

I feel like I am a "late bloomer" in the sorority world. As a junior, I finally decided to go through recruitment. As I walked in the room on the first day, I immediately felt out of place. The majority of the others going through recruitment were freshman and sophomores. I was afraid that I had waited too long, and that getting a bid was completely out of the question.

"Why did I wait so long?" you may ask. When I came to college my freshman year, I did not think that being in a sorority was my kind of lifestyle. I assumed that it was a way of paying for your friends. I also thought that everyone in a sorority was fake and I wanted to make "real friends."

At the end of my freshman year, I met some people in a fraternity and I realized that they were down to earth and not fake at all. During my sophomore year, my best friend went through recruitment and joined a sorority. I was close to signing up, but I backed out last minute due to fear. After meeting her sisters, I realized that just like the fraternity brothers, the sorority sisters are down to earth. I got along with them so well, and I was able to be myself around them. I didn't see myself joining a sorority, but I thought I would associate with them.

Junior year finally rolled around, and my best friend transferred to a different school. I still had great friends, but I felt like I was really missing something. She was the only friend I ever had that I truly connected with and felt like I had a sister. We still keep in touch and see each other every other week, but I missed being able to hang out with her whenever I wanted. Since I grew up as an only child, finally having that feeling at the age of 20 was amazing, and I missed it. I decided to go through recruitment to have that sister feeling again.

Even though I felt out of place on the first day of recruitment, I decided to go through with it. I went to different sororities and had conversations with the sisters, and after talking with Chi Omega, I immediately wanted to call them my family. It was the only sorority I was able to be completely myself with. I joked about being a nerd and discussed my love for cats, and I did not feel judged at all. On the last night of recruitment, I (embarrassingly) teared up because I finally felt so accepted. I fell in love with where I was, and I did not sleep that whole night because I was worried about not getting a bid.

When I woke up on bid day, it felt like Christmas morning. Would I get the bid that I really wanted? Or would I get a bid for somewhere else? I got ready and went to go see my bid. I anxiously waited for my name to be called, and when I received the white envelope, my hands began shaking. I tried to open it as fast as I could without ripping the whole thing, and as soon as I saw the bid my mouth dropped. I had finally found my home.

I had to wait two hours to run home, but the wait was so worth it. When I walked out to the field, tears filled my eyes. Each sorority had a different theme, and I saw an awesome rainbow theme that I fell in love with. That awesome rainbow theme happened to be my new home. That made me even more sure that I had chosen the right place. When I finally ran home, I was tackled by one of my coworkers, who was now my sister, and I have never screamed so much. I was so happy to be home, and I was handed a super cute shirt and doused in glitter. I never felt so happy in my life.

The rest of the afternoon, I took pictures and bonded with my sisters. I no longer felt weird for being a junior, because they loved me just as much as they loved the freshman. I was given so many gifts had that sister feeling in my heart again. When I came into work today, I received a note from one of my sisters telling me how she couldn't wait to see me when I came in. I do feel overwhelmed because there are so many names that I am trying to remember, but I know that I am finally in a place where I am loved and cared about.

On the morning of my bid day, my best friend told me that my life was about to change. She was completely right. My life changed for the better, and I cannot even begin to describe how amazing it feels to be in a place where I feel welcomed and loved. I strongly encourage you all to try going through recruitment. I do understand that this is not for everyone, but you may be surprised with the outcome. Each sorority has a different personality, and you will find your home. I am so happy that I found mine. My only regret is not going through recruitment sooner, but I am happy to finally be where I belong.

If you want to be a Chi O, then all you have to do, is give your heart to Chi O, and she'll give it back to you.