How We Are Going To Get Through The Orlando Crisis As Americans

We are the strongest country in the world and we must come together.

3

Living in the 21st century is a feat of its own. I'm not going to lie, it is scary. It seems like we are safe from prejudice, safe from racism, safe from unfairness and safe from danger, but this isn't entirely true. We believe that if we treat people with respect, work hard, do our best, lock our doors at night, and pray and hope that we will turn out fine, that we will be safe and sound. Following the current events that have happened over the past few years, I don't know what to believe anymore. I want to believe that people have rights to own their own guns and protect themselves at any cost. I want to believe that people have the right to believe in what they want to believe in as long as they don't hurt others. But that's not how the world works. There are always going to be racist or prejudiced people and there are always going to be people who are messed up, but there is no way of determining whether they are a "burden to society" or not. People appear to be just fine on the outside while the world living inside their mind is as dark and twisted as serial killers. What do we do as passerbys? What do we do as Americans who have witnessed so much hurt and so much bloodshed? It feels as if there is nothing we can truly do except pray and keep victims in our hearts and minds. It seems like all we can do is empathize and try to get through the next few weeks until things start to feel normal again, but who knows how long that will be? Not only was this recent attack at the Pulse Nightclub an attack on our gay community of Orlando, but the gay community of the world, their friends, their families, the Orlando community and not to the mention the entire United States. Orlando has been a huge part of my life, I attend school here eight out of 12 months of the year, I go out to clubs just like these men and women who did that fateful night and I have even been there myself. It is hard to feel safe at a time like this and there is only so much we can do as people who are a part of a huge population and a huge country, but there is something we can do. It may seem small and it may seem insignificant, but we can believe. We can believe that we are a superpower and we have come together as Americans through every hardship that life has thrown at us: through both World Wars, through the terrible tragedy of 9/11, through the recent mass shootings and we need to come together through this. We can't be divided on whether or not people believe in gay marriage or believe in rights to own guns. This was an attack on the American people and that's all that should matter. We need to unite as one and take down whoever was at the front of this and prove that we as Americans are not going to live in fear everyday of terrorists and their counterparts. We are the strongest damned country in the world and we have proven this time and time again. We will prove this again. There is never not going to be evil, but there can always be good to defeat this evil. The next few days will be hard for us, the next few weeks even. God knows it has been hard for me to breathe knowing what has happened in my own backyard, but all I have left is belief so I am going to stick by that. I believe, that we as Americans, as citizens of the world, as members of the gay and or straight community, as people from all different backgrounds, as human beings, are going to come together and we are going to rise above and we are going to be OK.