Plot Twist–I’m Going To Graduation, Part Two

There is irony in the California Drive License issued on 4/20 stating, “Federal Limits Apply.”

186
Photo by: Maura Barbulescu

I arrive bright and early for my appointment with the renewal notice. I do not have the required Real ID documentation. I’ve already spent the money to travel, but I am starting to wonder just how badly do I want it? I process the renewal with visions of TSA not letting me fly, to Boston, or worse, home. I find myself thinking, there is irony in the California Drive License issued on 4/20 stating, “Federal Limits Apply.”

My weekend was filled with none graduation related challenges that required my attention, but Monday I reviewed the email confirmation from my regalia order. “(Regalia will begin shipping on June 1, 2018. Upon shipment you will receive an email notification with tracking information. ***Regalia will not be shipped prior to June 1, 2018***)”

This was in bright red letters partway down the email. I was at a loss for how I had not seen it originally, other than I think I looked at the email on my phone and didn’t bother to scroll down far enough. It was after hours for the company so calling would be useless. I submitted an online inquiry. Then I submitted a new service ticket with my school, please help.

I got up bright and early the next morning and stood in line at the DMV to apply for a Real ID driver license. By now it is April 24, my plane takes off May 10. Time is no longer my friend, but I’m still determined to make miracles happen. After sitting patiently at the DMV for three hours, the supervisor announces to the crowd, “Our system is down, we are unable to do anything, and when I say anything, I mean anything.

We don’t know how long it will be down”. It had been down over two hours the day before. I’m already missing work and having to troubleshoot an issue remotely. I’m in it to win it. I run out to my car to quickly eat a few bites of my cold lunch since I had skipped breakfast. Half-way through my enchiladas, I hear a number called. I run back inside and reclaim my seat. Ten minutes later, my number is called. Twenty minutes later, I am successful in my quest and heading to work.

I still need my license to arrive in time, and I still need my regalia, or I will be watching my graduation from the stands.

While waiting at DMV and troubleshooting an issue for work I also called the company sending me my regalia. After a conversation with the customer service rep, I was armed with a course of action and set the wheels in motion once again.

I fought through the glitches, which I will readily admit to having created when I marked, “Not Attending” on my exit interview, and managed to resubmit my order for my regalia. It is scheduled to ship out the week before I leave. If I hold my breath any more, it will be counterproductive, so I’m just focusing on keeping the panic attacks at bay.

My “Federal Limits Apply” driver license arrived in the mail April 27. A glimmer of hope for getting on the plane and renting the car.

My beautiful Federally Compliant driver license arrived in the mail April 30. Oh, I picked up my regalia for my Community College graduation May 17, I figured what the heck, I might as well go to this one after I get back from my University graduation. It took me five minutes to go in and pick up the cap, gown, and tassel. Five minutes…if only everything else had been so easy. Oh, I guess the honor cords from Phi Theta Kappa came fairly quickly once I ordered those, and my tax refund came, so I was able to pay back the people who came to my rescue.

Now, I just need my regalia to arrive in time, and I will be part of the live-stream Academic Awards Ceremony and Commencement Ceremony. This would be good since I don’t have a ticket to sit in the audience.

Hopefully, you will see me at graduation.