Going To College With Your Best Friends

Going To College With Your Best Friends

It's not always simple, but that's a good thing.

59
Going To College With Your Best Friends
Facebook--Grace Deal

When I applied to college, I knew that my best friends were applying to UVA too. Of course, this is not what motivated me to apply — none of us were dedicated to sticking together. But when it came time to make the decisions about our futures, we all found ourselves being pulled to Virginia for similar reasons: amazing academics, great social life, and low tuition costs. The school fit us perfectly. We were so excited to have one another in a new environment. We were ready to take on UVA together, as we had done with elementary, middle, and high school.

During the first few weeks of classes, I called my best friends whenever I needed something. We went to lunch every day because we weren't ready to do the whole "eat alone in college" thing yet. We went out together on our first nights, along with the massive and uncomfortable group that characterizes first years venturing to Rugby. It was so easy to stick together, with our residences close, and so simple to rely on the old ease that came with a friendship of nine years.

As we have been here, however, we have made our separate friends. We no longer go together to lunch every day; we no longer go to parties together every weekend. We aren't the inseparable friends we used to be.

But here is the key: that's OK.

There is nothing wrong with going to college and finding yourself going a different way than your high school best friends. There is also nothing wrong with sticking to your best friends at college like you did in high school. The first few weeks, it is given that you will lean on old friends, if you're lucky enough to have them with you. But as time passes, you'll meet new people, and you will find yourself talking less to the people that were your crutches back in week one. Next year, I'm living with three people from three different states. That is what college is for: branching out.

Of course, this is not to say we never see each other—we will stop by each other's dorms or go to the library together. The good thing about best friends is that no matter how long the intervals between seeing one another are, nothing changes. I don't have to worry that making my new best friends in college is going to change things with my best friends from high school. I know when I go home for breaks, our friendships will be the same: We will still laugh, make cupcakes, and have wine nights like we always have.

That's the beauty of the situation: making new best friends, but always being there for the old ones.